User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default How do you feel about your nation's corporations?

So, are you in favour of giant corporations and their interests? Or do the ethics of certain supermarkets and other firms get to you?

Personally, I'm averse to Nestle, with their aggressive marketing tactics in Africa, and more recently to Coca Cola, whose unethical practices have turned me off. I shop at Asda (they're a British company, but Wal*Mart recently bought them), but I realise that boycotting them might be ideal. Wal*Mart is known for treating its employees like shit. However, I don't have a problem with Tesco. For those of you of a British persuasion, you will have heard of this giant supermarket chain. And they've gone global. My friend told me he went to Thailand not too long ago and came across "Tesco Lotus". I found this hilarious. Anyway, they are, on the whole, an ethical company. Those cynics who talk about how they want to take over the world with their Orwellian marketing techniques and customer services I laugh at. Business is business. Tesco is powerful, but only because people buy from them. Supply and demand is a two-way, democratic system, despite what people might say. It relies on good relations between individuals. Of course, they say they have customers in mind, but in reality, they're just interested in company profits. Nonetheless, what is inherently wrong with that? If they deliver, and deliver well, while maintaining social responsibility, there is no problem.

MBTI
    INFP

I think it's the homogenization that bothers me most about these joints. The public's beginning to march to the same disenchanted beat.

Doesn't Tesco operate in Los Angeles now? I had heard something about undercover test operations in the area last year, but never heard if they surfaced.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Dammit. You're going to inform me and then I'll have to leave my little corporation-ized bubble and care and boycott stuff. Hold on for a second while I go have my last Coke.

Ignorance is bliss. (Though I *am* currently Long Drugs for its discriminatory practices against high school students- even though I am no logner one, it's very degrading and ... mean, for a lack of a better term this early in the morning.)

Corporations mostly make me sad when I travel and see that every city and every town are the same. They all have their Home Depot, their Applebee's, their Target and their 16-plex movie theater showing the same 16 movies as the next town. Traveling around the country is less fun when everywhere is so homogenous.

I understand that the right to grow and make money is central to our political and economic system, but I really wish that corporations were better citizens and didn't always live on the bleeding edge of the law. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it's a good idea.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Corporations mostly make me sad when I travel and see that every city and every town are the same. They all have their Home Depot, their Applebee's, their Target and their 16-plex movie theater showing the same 16 movies as the next town. Traveling around the country is less fun when everywhere is so homogenous.
    And soon each culture will no longer have its own heritage. It will be one culture; the world's culture.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    So, are you in favour of giant corporations and their interests? Or do the ethics of certain supermarkets and other firms get to you?

Personally, I'm averse to Nestle, with their aggressive marketing tactics in Africa, and more recently to Coca Cola, whose unethical practices have turned me off. I shop at Asda (they're a British company, but Wal*Mart recently bought them), but I realise that boycotting them might be ideal. Wal*Mart is known for treating its employees like shit. However, I don't have a problem with Tesco. For those of you of a British persuasion, you will have heard of this giant supermarket chain. And they've gone global. My friend told me he went to Thailand not too long ago and came across "Tesco Lotus". I found this hilarious. Anyway, they are, on the whole, an ethical company. Those cynics who talk about how they want to take over the world with their Orwellian marketing techniques and customer services I laugh at. Business is business. Tesco is powerful, but only because people buy from them. Supply and demand is a two-way, democratic system, despite what people might say. It relies on good relations between individuals. Of course, they say they have customers in mind, but in reality, they're just interested in company profits. Nonetheless, what is inherently wrong with that? If they deliver, and deliver well, while maintaining social responsibility, there is no problem.
    I don't have a problem with large corporations unless they leverage their power to force people to buy inferior products. If they continue to produce good quality products and don't do anything illegal, I'm pretty much fine with them.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I don't have a problem with large corporations unless they leverage their power to force people to buy inferior products. If they continue to produce good quality products and don't do anything illegal, I'm pretty much fine with them.
    I'm in agreement here. This is where I disagree with my fellow conservatives about Walmart that think it's just doing it's job as a corporation. They sell shoddy merchandise at a discount price, right next to name brand stuff, but it's only slightly discounted. There clientele will always go for the crap. Other big corporations though (overall) tend to maintain the quality while lowering the price (economies of scale). This allows me to buy more of what I want and not have to work more hours to afford it.
    I'm not being critical, I'm just trying to make you a better person.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i have no problem with corporations. I also have no problem with wal mart, in fact i love wal mart. I do all of my grocery shopping there just because i save about 100 dollars every time i do. If i was to go to a non corporate grocery store then i would be spending a lot more than i have to. I am in the working class and i shop where i can get quality for a lower price.

For instance at wal-mart i can get the diapers that i buy for 8.00 a package, while at the local grocery store they are almost 13.00. Why would i spend 6 dollars more for the exact same type of diapers?

If the other grocery store would sell their products for less, then i would shop there.

I do like to get coffee from non corporate places, just because the atmosphere is more inviting AND IT'S CHEAPER, which is the main reason that i would choose any store, restaurant or movie theatre.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    i have no problem with corporations. I also have no problem with wal mart, in fact i love wal mart. I do all of my grocery shopping there just because i save about 100 dollars every time i do. If i was to go to a non corporate grocery store then i would be spending a lot more than i have to. I am in the working class and i shop where i can get quality for a lower price.

For instance at wal-mart i can get the diapers that i buy for 8.00 a package, while at the local grocery store they are almost 13.00. Why would i spend 6 dollars more for the exact same type of diapers?
    Walmart does do things more efficiently than many other chains do (the RFID thing for instance), therefore they are way more competitive. Not necessarily a bad thing , but then they go and do stuff like this:
    The stories of how Wal-Mart pushes manufacturers into selling the same product at lower and lower prices are legendary. One example is Lakewood Engineering & Manufacturing Co. in Chicago, a fan manufacturer. In the early 1990s, a 20-inch box fan costs $20. Wal-Mart pushed the manufacturer to lower the price, and Lakewood responded by automating the production process, which meant layoffs. Lakewood also badgered it own suppliers to knock down the prices of parts. Then, in 2000, Lakewood opened a factory in China, where workers earn 25 cents an hour. By 2003, the price on the fan in a Wal-Mart store had dropped to about $10.
    Link
    In the case of your diapers, likely they are the exact same as the ones you would buy at a different store. I don't fault anyone for wanting the same thing for a better price. But Walmart, while far from a monopoly, throws its weight around because it knows it can get away with it. Most major corporations would never think of sacrificing quality for sales. But they get away with it because it isn't their name on the box, they are merely selling the product someone else made.

On the other hand, there are companies like Intel. Even while gaining market share and their closest competitor is fading into obscurity, they keep coming up with better and better products while maintaining prices. That's a market where the consumer truly wins.
    I'm not being critical, I'm just trying to make you a better person.