User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 44

  1. #31
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    At age 11, when you take the exam, how does your score determine which school you'd go to (religious or state-funded)? Is one more competitive than the other? Do any of the Catholic kids attend the state-funded schools?
    The secondary and grammer schools can be either faith schools or secular/state schools, the aptitude test determines which you have a choice of and can attend, they may or may not be state funded but generally they are at least in part and RCs attend either, parents choose.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    My bad, I forgot you're incapable of reasonable discussion without resorting to name-calling, strawmen and hyperbole. Have fun in your sandbox.
    As the wise man said remove the plank from your own eye before you complain about the splinter in mine.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Ireland is a theocracy by tradition. According to theocracy, the state is by God.
    Other models of theocratic state exist only in the most backward countries of the Muslim world.
    Because of the rampant sexual abuse of minors, and use of slave labour in and by the Church, the theocracy has lost stature in recent times.
    Lark opposes the inevitable change. It is too late.
    Victor? You're not meant to have multiple accounts man.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    I dont believe that Jesus was non-traditional, in fact I think he was very traditional and orthodox in his teaching, the received wisdom had been buried under layers of sedimentary and anxiliary thinking and it had obscured the original meaning, only God incarnate could reveal what its original intent was and therefore you have Jesus.

    I'm not responding to the blatant anti-Irish racism and sectarianism against RCs in the thread, you want to troll someone you can try it with someone else.

  5. #35
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Victor? You're not meant to have multiple accounts man.
    My mother language is not English.
    I am most honoured.
    Victor has the best command of English language in this forum.
    He is also precise, short-cut, and to the point.
    Admirable qualities, all.

    Thank you, Lark. I owe you.

  6. #36
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    I'd much rather see a more integrated, peaceful N.I. than a return to sectarian violence. Integrated schools are a step in the right direction. Anything that can tear down the artificial barriers people construct between themselves can only be a good thing, and it is in childhood that the foundations of such barriers are laid done.

    Your argument seems to be that there is nothing wrong with an RC education, but you haven't made any kind of argument as to what is wrong with non-RC schools. People are perfectly able to maintain traditions and beliefs without isolating and seggregating themselves, so that's no argument at all. Single faith schools of any denomination have no place in a secular society. They do not adequately prepare children for the real world they will encounter as adults (you suggest as much yourself) and they do not encourage tolerance (as you like to demonstrate).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    My mother language is not English.
    I am most honoured.
    Victor has the best command of English language in this forum.
    He is also precise, short-cut, and to the point.
    Admirable qualities, all.

    Thank you, Lark. I owe you.
    Definitely Victor.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,661

    Default

    I reckon on reflection that if I'd entitled the thread "For Diversity" or "Against Homogenuity" I'd have had the liberal support. As it is they see religion and their folk devils get in the way.

  9. #39
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I reckon on reflection that if I'd entitled the thread "For Diversity" or "Against Homogenuity" I'd have had the liberal support. As it is they see religion and their folk devils get in the way.
    So what's the point of making threads that have no relevance to this board's readership? It seems you just want somewhere to vent your frustrations. But you also want people to sympathise with you. Anyone who doesn't agree with you, you insult or just ignore. Is that the produce of an insular, RC schooling? Or just your own brand of narcissism?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  10. #40
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Just an FYI but when you say "integration" to an American audience (not saying this forum is an American audience entirely, but it IS based in the US and has a large US majority in membership) it usually means racial integration, usually in terms of the government schools. If you're addressing a form of integration specific to your own culture, we're not necessarily going to look at it from the same perspective. I can't speak for everyone in the US but I don't have very much information about Irish school systems so I'd have no basis for addressing your points on those terms.

    Edit: and wildcat predates Victor, by a lot.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Similar Threads

  1. Bias against "S" types
    By Andy K Octopus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
  2. These S people with their tiresome case against N
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 11:57 AM
  3. This is why incest is against the law...
    By The Ü™ in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO