User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: Super Tuesday

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Of course, that leaves a door open for the evil, objectivist libertarians, but at least they are Constitutionalists.
    No. There's no door open for Constitutionalists. The two-headed single-party system has effectively shut out any and all potential third parties.

...at risk of repeating myself vis-a-vis government trough, status quo, etc., etc...

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    No. There's no door open for Constitutionalists. The two-headed single-party system has effectively shut out any and all potential third parties.

...at risk of repeating myself vis-a-vis government trough, status quo, etc., etc...
    Well technically they aren't stopping anybody. Ron Paul is a Republican (former Libertarian). Afterall, there are other parties. I would say the media is far more guilty of blocking out potential third party candidates. And if my memory serves me right, we have been a two party system for the most part of 2 hundred years. Old parties just die out and new ones spring up to take their place.

Tish, tish. I was overlooking the "government trough" thing because I intend to be a social worker, and I consider that to be offensive terminology. It isn't my intent to be a "parasite" as I have been called by a few libertarians already for my choice of career. I just believe in helping people. Especially since it the job of a social worker to challenge the status quo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Oberon

I am well on my way to become an antisocial worker. That will probably happen shortly before I become a downright cantankerous retiree.

Oberon

Well technically they aren't stopping anybody. Ron Paul is a Republican (former Libertarian). Afterall, there are other parties. I would say the media is far more guilty of blocking out potential third party candidates. And if my memory serves me right, we have been a two party system for the most part of 2 hundred years. Old parties just die out and new ones spring up to take their place.
    You might want to take a little time to dig into the laws regarding ballot access in general elections in your state. They differ from state to state, but generally speaking they tend to set stringent requirements (X-thousand number of certified signatures, for example) for newcomers while grandfathering in the existing parties. Of course, the media does their share too.

About Ron Paul... he did run as the Libertarian Party candidate for president a few elections ago (I voted for him), but I understand that he actually has spent most of his life as a Republican. Seems that's what you have to do to have a chance at getting elected in his district.

MBTI
    OMNi

I am well on my way to become an antisocial worker. That will probably happen shortly before I become a downright cantankerous retiree.
    It's alright. Because I've worked with enough elderly already to know that old staunchy old school republicans and old libertarians still end up needing social workers. Talk shit about us while you can, because time is on our side. As my dear grandmother loves to say, "Nobody can appreciate what it means to be old until you are there and need the help."

Oberon

Talk shit about us while you can, because time is on our side.
    Yeah... meanwhile, you'll be getting rich on all your government-trough-provided, fat social-worker paychecks. Because, you know, you guys make so much moolah it's just ridiculous...

MBTI
    OMNi

Yeah... meanwhile, you'll be getting rich on all your government-trough-provided, fat social-worker paychecks. Because, you know, you guys make so much moolah it's just ridiculous...
    I know! I know! After I buy my second mansion in the Hamptons, I only have enough left for a ferrari and not the lamborghini I really wanted. What a country!

The irony of being a social worker, is that you have to get a masters degree to work for peanuts and be hated by just about everyone because you probably work for the government. It's like being a cop without a gun. All in the name of altruism and social justice. But I do love it when Libertarians call me a parasite/moocher/leach.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I'm such a poli sci nerd that I'm always sad on Super Tuesday that I don't live in a state that has an earlier primary! our primaries are some of the latest in the country, so everything will already be decided before I ever get to vote :steam:

I'm not a huge fan of anyone this year anyways
    Yeah, us too. Our primary isn't until May, it'll probably be over by then.

I don't know yet who I'll vote for. I only know it WON'T be a Republican. I like both of the Dems for different reasons and I also have problems with both, especially her. Dammit, I'd like for my vote to actually matter here.

Just wait till the Super Delegates get into it. It's like having the Electoral vote in the primary. :steam:
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Don't underestimate the Democrats. They are masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I hardly think that Obama and Hilary will be running mates. They have a lot of bad blood between them already.
    Yeah, they've not been playing too well together lately. The real question to me though is do they want to WIN? It may be the only way for the party to not rip itself apart, especially with the Super Delegates in the mix. People will be so pissed if that happens, no matter who wins, somebody's gonna feel cheated and actually WILL be cheated if they pull that stuff. Which I'm sure they will. The Dems can't seem to win for constantly shooting themselves in the head...or foot...or whatever.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    ~~~~
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    They all play the game as they need to. Reagan and Bush had bad blood too.
    JFK and Johnson as well.

Should've read the whole thread first and used multi. Sorry guys.
    ~~~~
    ~~~~
    ~~~~
    ~~~~