User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Thread: Super Tuesday

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Considering the Republicans are fighting over how best to lose in '08, I'd say the chances of a Democrat victory in November are pretty great... and the VP is always the heir apparent to the presidency, provided the candidate is young enough and fit. I think either Hillary or Obama would be hard-pressed to turn down such an opportunity.
    Don't underestimate the Democrats. They are masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

I hardly think that Obama and Hilary will be running mates. They have a lot of bad blood between them already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not certain, but I think my Ron Paul bumper sticker has earned me a keyed car. The scrape is obvious, but I can't determine how long it's been there.
    While I'm not a Ron Paul supporter, this campaign has been eye opening for me in regards to how the TV news media treats Libertarian leaning candidates. For a long time Thompson and Guiliani have gotten a lot more TV news attention and yet Ron Paul has been outperforming them in both polls and votes. Also, the fact that he is so popular on the internet makes me suspicious of why he is ignored by the TV news.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    While I'm not a Ron Paul supporter, this campaign has been eye opening for me in regards to how the TV news media treats Libertarian leaning candidates. For a long time Thompson and Guiliani have gotten a lot more TV news attention and yet Ron Paul has been outperforming them in both polls and votes. Also, the fact that he is so popular on the internet makes me suspicious of why he is ignored by the TV news.
    I noticed that too in the last debate, just seemed like he got shafted while the other two bickered about stuff. I wasn't really paying close attention to the debate, but even just seeing how much face time the other's got over him (and Huckleberry) was noticeable.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

our primaries aren't until March, which is pretty late, but i am definitely an Obama fan.

he just looks like an honest guy.
    of course that isn't the only reason i would vote for him, but it helps.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This very phenomenon has drawn attention to the way candidates are chosen in this country. For the first time, it seems, we can see how large an influence the media has. Apparently the chattering classes (now to include professional bloggers) make their selections based on who they consider "electable," and then back that candidate (or candidates) to the exclusion of others, so that the race shakes out to the handful of candidates who get the most media attention. This process happens prior to and parallel to the primary elections, which to my mind are what's supposed to determine who is "electable."

I consider it ridiculous that Ron Paul has been all but ostracized by his own party. Nearly every position that Paul has taken on issues is nothing more than Republican orthodoxy, directly in the tradition of Barry Goldwater. The only difference is, when Ron Paul says he means to shrink government, cut the budget, end the war, and secure the borders, people believe him. That stand is highly threatening to those who make a career out of feeding at the government trough, and those who are invested in the status quo.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This very phenomenon has drawn attention to the way candidates are chosen in this country. For the first time, it seems, we can see how large an influence the media has. Apparently the chattering classes (now to include professional bloggers) make their selections based on who they consider "electable," and then back that candidate (or candidates) to the exclusion of others, so that the race shakes out to the handful of candidates who get the most media attention. This process happens prior to and parallel to the primary elections, which to my mind are what's supposed to determine who is "electable."

I consider it ridiculous that Ron Paul has been all but ostracized by his own party. Nearly every position that Paul has taken on issues is nothing more than Republican orthodoxy, directly in the tradition of Barry Goldwater. The only difference is, when Ron Paul says he means to shrink government, cut the budget, end the war, and secure the borders, people believe him. That stand is highly threatening to those who make a career out of feeding at the government trough, and those who are invested in the status quo.
    I think this is the biggest problem I have with the Republican Party in general. Most of their candidates do not seem to actually believe what they say. They try to portray themselves a fiscally conservative and moral Christian candidate, and then they turn around and increase spending and deficits while promoting war and torture.

I think that this year as a whole has been much better for the Democratic process. While some candidates have been unfairly ignored, at least the nominees is not decided before super Tuesday (or even after super Tuesday). Average people are having a much greater influence in the nomination process, and I think that is a good thing.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Don't underestimate the Democrats. They are masters at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
    Time-tested, too!

I hardly think that Obama and Hilary will be running mates. They have a lot of bad blood between them already.
    They're not really compatible, due to working styles. And both want to be in charge. Gore was happy shoring up Clinton, and Bush is happy to let Cheney do all the thinking. But those two? They'd really hate each other.

(I can't see Hillary ever being a VP, to be honest.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post

They all play the game as they need to. Reagan and Bush had bad blood too.

This is DEAD ON. The problem here is that the Republican party doesn't at all resemble the Republican party of 40 years ago that Barry Goldwater birthed. The traditional platform of the GOP has been co-opted by military contractors and Christian fundamentalists to the point where it is unrecognizable. This is exactly why I am no longer a Republican. This is exactly why I consider myself a mild conservative and yet have voted for a Democrat for president 3 out of 5 times and am likely to make it 4 out of 6. I didn't leave the Republican party; they left me.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    OMNi

I've found it hilarious. And most of the people who vote Republican are just strongly partisan, not so much because they value tradition, small government, and morals.. They just think the Democratic party is evil and out to take away their guns and let everyone marry their horse. All the while they let their own party go to heck by electing the worst types of trash imaginable. Sometimes I wonder if the dialog that goes on in their heads is something like...

"Oh, he kills innocent puppies and bathes in their blood in the moonlight? Well, he isn't a Democrat so he has my vote!?"

Over 50 cases of high ranking corrupt Republicans in just the last few years! And this is suppose to be the party that represents the integrity of capitalism? I use to be ashamed of the Democrats, especially after Bill Clinton, but the Republicans have redeemed them in my eyes.

Of course, that leaves a door open for the evil, objectivist libertarians, but at least they are Constitutionalists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.