User Tag List

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 173

Thread: Super Tuesday

  1. #131
    scourge Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    19,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Whatever you say, whatevs.
    Nonsense! :horor: admit it- I'm awesome- that took a lot of thinking and typing for me! *pout*
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

  2. #132
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Nonsense! :horor: admit it- I'm awesome- that took a lot of thinking and typing for me! *pout*
    Yes, of course you're awesome, dear. Now run along and play.

  3. #133
    scourge Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    19,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yes, of course you're awesome. Now run along and play.
    OMG!!! You are NOT dismissing me as uneducated are you? :steam:

    Sure- I might not always come across as the brightest one out there- but I'm not stupid by any means and a triple major with a quadruple minor should mean that I know some about things (poli sci/soc/spanish with minors of econ/psych/portuguese/history)
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

  4. #134
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    OMG!!! You are NOT dismissing me as uneducated are you? :steam:
    Oh no, not at all!

    I am, however, discovering that my suspicions about which buttons I should push were correct.

  5. #135
    Fight For Freedom Array FFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    691

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Or consider the inconvenience of trying to figure out who to call when someone is breaking into your home without law enforcement! :horor: Not good.
    If someone is breaking into your house, the last thing you should do is call the police because it's gonna take them five minutes at the least to get there. By then you could be tied up, murdered, raped, etc. and the police will only help deal with the aftermath. What you SHOULD do is acquire the best form of weaponry you can get and be prepared to protect yourself. EVen an unloaded shotgun can work wonders. Nothing can strike fear into the hearts of evildoers like the look and sound of a shotgun. You don't even have to aim the damn thing. Just point it in the general direction, and you're good.

  6. #136
    scourge Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    19,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Oh no, not at all!

    I am, however, discovering that my suspicions about which buttons I should push were correct.
    NOT nice!

    and I'll decide to be self satisfied and tell myself that my post was so awesome that the best response you could give was to insult me personally!

    you are a wicked mouse- almost making me want to find my baseball bat or something!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

  7. #137
    scourge Array miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    19,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTooPopular View Post
    If someone is breaking into your house, the last thing you should do is call the police because it's gonna take them five minutes at the least to get there. By then you could be tied up, murdered, raped, etc. and the police will only help deal with the aftermath. What you SHOULD do is acquire the best form of weaponry you can get and be prepared to protect yourself. EVen an unloaded shotgun can work wonders. Nothing can strike fear into the hearts of evildoers like the look and sound of a shotgun. You don't even have to aim the damn thing. Just point it in the general direction, and you're good.

    and think of how unpleasant society would be if that occurred on a large scale someone would end up shooting thier own teenage child coming in late, or the intruder and the homeowner would end up in some sort of gunfight and things just wouldn't go all that well. People are stupid- you're best off having someone professionally do your dirty work for you so that they get the blame if things go wrong instead of you!

    (also a note for you, since you seem unaware- I'm going through a few law enforcement hiring processes at the moment )
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

  8. #138
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Operator: Nine one one, what is your emergency?
    Caller: Oh my God! Somebody's breaking into my house! HE'S GOT A GUN!!!
    Operator: We'll have an officer there right away. Can you get out of the house?
    Caller: What I really need is someone to take my name and address, and file a report!
    Operator: Ma'am?
    Caller: Can your guys take a lot of crime scene photos too?
    Operator: Ma'am, it's a misdemeanor to misuse the 911 service...
    Caller: And yellow crime scene tape! They'll need a lot of crime scene ta... [BOOM BOOM BOOM!]
    Operator: Ma'am? Ma'am? Are you on the line? Ma'am?

    The moral of the story is, while cops do serve a necessary function, they're not enough. Officers serve with honor and distinction, but they cannot protect everyone. Individuals who are capable also need to know how to protect themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and think of how unpleasant society would be if that occurred on a large scale
    It already happens on a large scale, whatevs. You just never read about it in the papers.

  9. #139
    Furry Critter with Claws Array Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Hmm. Now this is an interesting and potentially fruitful line of reasoning. What's best is that it can be empirically tested. One would have to weigh the cost of social services on one side, and find some way to quantify the material benefit of social services to the economy on the other. A potential complication would be assessing the degree to which, in the absence of government-provided social services, families, churches, communities, and nonprofit institutions would take up the slack; however, that kind of study could be done.

    It sounds like a master's thesis in the making; it may in fact have already been done, maybe several times over. I wouldn't know where to begin looking.

    Kiddo, do you have access to a good university library?
    Um...yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  10. #140
    Per Ardua Array Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    pro-government spending argument
    On one hand...yes. But just like most things, it needs moderation. I obviously think the governmnet should pay for roads, police/fire protection, some hospitals, etc...but the fact is, there is no reason for me to pay for someone else's unemployment/house subsidies/welfare/etc. Especially not if it is a passive welfare system. Now...an active welfare system, where job training is a requirement of payment? I might be able to live with that. But beyond the necessities, there is no reason why I should pay for someone else to be lazy. We are all afforded public education (which I am more than willing to pay for), and we can all advance if we have the desire to do so. And I'm not talking out of my ass, because I did grow up in a relatively low income neighborhood and came from a family that was typical working class Massachusetts Irish just 2 generations ago.

    In the end, (relatively) free market capitalism helps all of us, by ensuring the success and growth of the economy as a whole. See all former socialist republics for an example, including France under Mitterrand.

    "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle" - Winston Churchill

    you get what you pay for.... unless you're rich, then others get what you pay for...or you're poor, and you get what others pay for
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Similar Threads

  1. Tuesday, February 14th, 2012
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 10:17 AM
  2. I'm moving on Tuesday
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 06:04 PM
  3. Super Super Fighter4
    By forzen in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 10:08 PM
  4. The Id, Ego and Super Ego
    By truth in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO