User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Results 101 to 110 of 173

Thread: Super Tuesday

  1. #101
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    I'm going to go with my knowledge of US history. If you know more than I do, I'd appreciate it if you enlightened me.
    You could focus more on the major cities like New York in the 1800s for a start and less on Horatio Alger stories.

  2. #102
    Senior Member Mr Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    there's some interesting theories on the differences between US and third world development out there if you're willing to read something that you might not agree with straight off- for instance Eduardo Galeano's Open Veins of Latin America And whether or not you'd like to beleive it- there have been some rather unpleasant slums in the US in our history
    I'm lazy today, but you've peaked my interest. Do you know off hand where I could find this information?

    Also- I'd suggest that you should perhaps mind what you say about certain things- my grandfather was an orphan in the early 1900s who ended up working factory jobs and having to drop out of school at a very early age... even now I know for sure that I wouldn't be where I am in life if it wasn't purely for luck... nice to know that you'd be happy to condemn me to a less pleasant life if I didn't meet the right people at the right times
    You may have misunderstood me. People like your grandfather aren't the problem. Irresponsible people are the problem. From your extremely short description I'm going to assume he was a hard worker who wanted to make good for himself and his family. I'm also going to assume he accomplished that based on what little I know about you from reading this thread.

    Oh and don't call your accomplishments luck. Give yourself some credit.
    Last edited by Mr Galt; 02-08-2008 at 01:38 AM. Reason: One too many [/quote]s
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

  3. #103
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Just start searching on Tenement Slums of New York

  4. #104
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    I'm lazy today, but you've peaked my interest. Do you know off hand where I could find such information?
    I gave you the title and the author I bought my copy at Barnes and Noble- it involved the differences in easily available natural resources and native workforces- something an NTJ should find somewhat interesting

    Amazon.com: Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent: Books: Eduardo Galeano


    You may have misunderstood me. People like your grandfather aren't the problem. Irresponsible people are the problem. From your extremely short description I'm going to assume he was a hard worker who wanted to make good for himself and his family. I'm also going to assume he accomplished that based on what little I know about you from reading this thread.

    Oh and don't call your accomplishments luck. Give yourself some credit.
    and why should you think that it's fair that some people just get to glide through life when some of the rest of us have to fight every inch of the way and not ever end up as well off? This sort of thing never fails to confuse me... if higher education was free and things of that sort it would make things somewhat more fair overall, but I just can't understand why people would consider it fair that I work 2 jobs while I'm a full time student just to get by and will still end up paying back loans while other people's parents just pay for them. And I know that there are plenty of people who are worse off than me

    I'll never be willing to write off anyone as deserving to have to work signifigantly harder to get anywhere in life
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #105
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Galt View Post
    Irresponsible people are the problem.
    I agree. Like Anarcho-Capitalists who run off to live in the woods of Montana so they can sit on their stockpile of weapons while they preach that they shouldn't have to pay taxes. All this even though they still enjoy the benefits of the services and protection of this Republic. Such irresponsible people, because they place their values of individualism and property rights ahead of everything, which ultimately imposes their beliefs on others. And of course, if anyone tries to enforce the laws of our country and arrest them for not paying their taxes, then they argue they are being forced at gunpoint to cede their property. Such strangely irresponsible and irrational thinking considering they could leave the country and move to some 3rd world African nation where anarchy is a reality and live the glorious existence that they continuously are trying to convert America toward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  6. #106
    Senior Member Mr Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and why should you think that it's fair that some people just get to glide through life when some of the rest of us have to fight every inch of the way and not ever end up as well off? This sort of thing never fails to confuse me... if higher education was free and things of that sort it would make things somewhat more fair overall, but I just can't understand why people would consider it fair that I work 2 jobs while I'm a full time student just to get by and will still end up paying back loans while other people's parents just pay for them. And I know that there are plenty of people who are worse off than me

    I'll never be willing to write off anyone as deserving to have to work signifigantly harder to get anywhere in life
    I'm not going to pretend it's fair. It's a harsh reality and because of it I'm a proponent of charity. What I AM against is being legally required to support people. It would be great if there were some way to bypass helping the lazy ones and simply concentrate on the ones working themselves half to death to get by, but there isn't (however, this will give me something to ponder heavily for the next 5 hours). Still, as much as we all may hate it sometimes, people should be able to do as they please with their money.

    I agree. Like Anarcho-Capitalists who run off to live in the woods of Montana so they can sit on their stockpile of weapons while they preach that they shouldn't have to pay taxes. All this even though they still enjoy the benefits of the services and protection of this Republic. Such irresponsible people, because they place their values of individualism and property rights ahead of everything, which ultimately imposes their beliefs on others. And of course, if anyone tries to enforce the laws of our country and arrest them for not paying their taxes, then they argue they are being forced at gunpoint to cede their property. Such strangely irresponsible and irrational thinking considering they could leave the country and move to some 3rd world African nation where anarchy is a reality and live the glorious existence that they continuously are trying to convert America toward.
    Those people are nuts. Anybody who thinks anarchism is the way to go is either extremely ignorant or extremely insane. I can't stand the government, but even I acknowledge that it is necessary for some things. The people who isolate themselves in the way you described are just as bad as the leeches I was referring to earlier.
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

  7. #107
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Herbert Hoover advocated charity to help the poor I don't recall that working all so well..... the same applies to some third world areas that I've been to

    People can't be expected to do the right thing really- prejudiced people won't donate to those they disapprove of, some people won't donate at all, and a lot of people will never willingly donate a sufficient amount to really help out anyone Like Heart said- study the tenament system in turn of the century NYC for a nice example
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #108
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Why don't you go to INTJ Central. You aren't going meet many people here who are stupid enough to swallow Objectivism.
    I have to comment on this.
    Objectivism is a very, very good thing. IT's also unavoidable, really.
    Even you must use it.

    Often, Libertarians poison the word, but don't put it down because of them. It makes me very angry. :steam:
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #109
    Senior Member Mr Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Herbert Hoover advocated charity to help the poor I don't recall that working all so well..... the same applies to some third world areas that I've been to

    People can't be expected to do the right thing really- prejudiced people won't donate to those they disapprove of, some people won't donate at all, and a lot of people will never willingly donate a sufficient amount to really help out anyone Like Heart said- study the tenament system in turn of the century NYC for a nice example
    My Google adventure, as of now, has taken me to wikipedia and a white supremacist site. The library seems like paradise at this point. If only it were open.

    Charity isn't really the right thing unless you care about other people. If you don't care about other people then it's a waste of money. People with money do not owe people without it anything simply because they have money and the people without it don't.
    But sir, your opinion is wrong.
    TANSTAAFL!

  10. #110
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    I have plenty of arguments against that- but I'll pick up on that tommorrow- I'm sick and I'm on Eastern Time- so it's after 2 am here and I have class early tommorrow morning

    If you'd clicked my link you would have found the book
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. super noob
    By Chloe relic in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-08-2014, 12:14 PM
  2. Super Smash Brothers
    By Mondo in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-16-2008, 09:53 PM
  3. The Id, Ego and Super Ego
    By truth in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
  4. Happy Super Fun Time with Hexis
    By Hexis in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 04:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO