MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Reason no. 458 to homeschool.
    I have thoughts like this as well. I took Advanced Biology and honors English as a Freshman in high school, as well as AP English later on, and I made a perfect score on the AP Lit exam when I graduated. I didn't do as well in math, and ended up having to go back and take Technical Math my junior year although I did well in Geometry as a freshman, I almost failed Algebra II with Trig as a sophomore, and had to have private tutoring to pass.

So...my point is, bringing some students down to promote "diversity" is a bunch of shit. I've been in lower level English classes as an adult enrolled in Education classes in college in order to "observe" public school classrooms, and I can tell you there are a bunch of discipline problems usually in lower level classes, as well as kids who barely even know how to read, and that's really not fair to kids who specialize in that particular area and want to learn.

Just like it wouldn't have been fair to push me into Calculus instead of putting me rightly into Tech Math where I belonged.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Sounds like some racist bullshit to abolish the honours system because a particular ethnic group cant or wont represent.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Sounds like some racist bullshit to abolish the honours system because a particular ethnic group cant or wont represent.
    Yeah. Whity is suffering over here in the colonies.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Yeah. Whity is suffering over here in the colonies.
    You're just as racist as he is. Your posts are constantly filled with scathing, accusatory statements about white people.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    You're just as racist as he is. Your posts are constantly filled with scathing, accusatory statements about white people.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. That comment was entirely sarcastic. I'll assume yours was too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Was race the only reason?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I couldn't believe this... at this high school there were too many whites and Asians in the honors program, and not enough blacks... so they shut down the program.
    There was no mention of the proposal being introduced because of there not being enough blacks or even too many Asians, but too many whites. 'Minority' includes Asians, Native Americans and Hispanics, it doesn't just refer to blacks.

When he scans the faces in his honors science courses at Evanston Township High School, chemistry teacher William Farmer can easily see who's missing: minority kids.

"Out of 26, you might have three nonwhite students," he said.
    The school spends more than $20,000 per student, one of the highest per-pupil expenditures in the state. But while white students have consistently scored high enough on state tests to meet the standards, black and Latino students lag far behind, according to state data.The school spends more than $20,000 per student, one of the highest per-pupil expenditures in the state. But while white students have consistently scored high enough on state tests to meet the standards, black and Latino students lag far behind, according to state data.
    The article also says they may close the program.

Quote from the article:
    Across the Chicago region, high school officials say they are making inroads in diversifying their advanced classes, but Evanston is considering the boldest step of all: eliminating an elite honors English course that has traditionally been offered to the highest-achieving incoming freshmen — usually white.
    With that said, I think it's a useless and even regressive proposal. It's up to the students and their parents to decide if they want to achieve more, less or nothing at all. I took advanced classes in high school, and they were obviously filled with "smarter" students. My classmates were either at the same or higher learning level than I was, and there were no class disturbances. But the regular classes? Total fucking nightmare.
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    There was no mention of the proposal being introduced because of there not being enough blacks or even too many Asians, but too many whites. 'Minority' includes Asians, Native Americans and Hispanics, it doesn't just refer to blacks.

The article also says they may close the program.

Quote from the article:

With that said, I think it's a useless and even regressive proposal. It's up to the students and their parents to decide if they want to achieve more, less or nothing at all. I took advanced classes in high school, and they were obviously filled with "smarter" students. My classmates were either at the same or higher learning level than I was, and there were no class disturbances. But the regular classes? Total fucking nightmare.
    Asians and Jews are not considered "minorities" by most educational institutions, because they are overrepresented in honors classes in primary and secondary schooling and admission to elite colleges and universities.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

You have to be unsuccessful to be considered a minority. Because if you're a successful Jew or Jain or Asian and can hack it in mainstream society you're just considered "one of us".
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    You have to be unsuccessful to be considered a minority. Because if you're a successful Jew or Jain or Asian and can hack it in mainstream society you're just considered "one of us".
    When I was at UPenn, people jokingly called it "JewPenn." Caucasians accounted for about 65% of the student body, with 60-65% of the Caucasians being Jewish or part-Jewish. I was definitely a minority as a middle-class blue-eyed Gentile from Philadelphia.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"