User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default nasa found proofs of extraterrestial life? moar info about it later today

MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. -- NASA will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. PST on Thursday, Dec. 2, to discuss an astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life. Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.
    http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/new...0/M10-110.html

some people have speculated that it must have something to do with mars because of the research team.

what do you guys think this is about?

i cant believe that no one has made topic about this..
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

I hope it's Marvin.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

It's not extraterrestrial if they found it in a lake in California.

But it does open up new possibilities for what extraterrestrial life can look like and how it can manifest. It's a very interesting/exciting discovery for microbiology and biology in general.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

It's not extraterrestrial if they found it in a lake in California.

But it does open up new possibilities for what extraterrestrial life can look like and how it can manifest. It's a very interesting/exciting discovery for microbiology and biology in general.
    that isnt the news..

this news conference havent been held yet, so you cant really know what they will reveal..

4 hours and 20 mins to go for the news conference
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Phantonym

Alien life has been among us all along! Surprise!!!

Wrapped in arsenic.

Well, it's always interesting to hear about new "profound" discoveries. And this means new funding for NASA I suppose, so good for them.

MBTI
    INTP

My favorite quote from the gizmodo article:

NASA's geobiologist Pamela Conrad thinks that the discovery is huge and "phenomenal," comparing it to the Star Trek episode in which the Enterprise crew finds Horta, a silicon-based alien life form that can't be detected with tricorders because it wasn't carbon-based.
    Something Witty

I think it is pretty interesting that they have found Arsenic can replace phosphorus in some bacteria's DNA and it is a big find and all, but it feels like they are assuming too much from the find (not that this is unusual for Science announcements). If Carbon or Nitrogen were replaced, you'd get a "wow!" out of me, but phosphorus is part of the backbone not the rungs. With my lack of biology knowledge, it basically feels like they have said, you can now hang the super important pegs on a brass line rather than a steel one. Obviously no one thought they could do this so if one "impossible" is possible maybe others are. Still concluding that from this feels like a big leap.

p.s. personally I think there should be more than one configuration of molecules which self replicates, considering the number of elements and arrangements available. I hope we do find an alternate version of life on another world. I'm not sure this says that much about that though, except that carbon based alien creatures might do okay without phosphorus.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Epiphany

I need moar proofs to belief it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Evidence of an extinct civilisation of humanoids who also destroyed a pre-historical high tech mega civilisation on earth and planted the human race as a kind of bio-weapon to deter settlement by other alien species.

Just a thought

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

This actually reminds me of the movie Evolution. Ok, so it wasn't a blockbuster hit but time to start collecting the "Head & Shoulders" shampoo just in case
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell