User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Wow, I missed that the first time I looked at the article (or maybe I didn't make it that far).

The Republican response to this issue has confirmed for me that they're really nothing but authoritarians that give occasional lip-service to classical liberal ideals. Rather than taking advantage of an opportunity to slim down the bureaucracy by setting a higher threshold for what should be designated as "secret", they chose the hard-line approach. Force. It doesn't surprise me, but it is frustrating.
    1.) Its clear from the context that the quote in question is an ironic understatement employed to highlight the lack of government abuses revealed in the leaks

2.) The article is from a former Clinton official who is presumably a Democrat. As for myself, you have previously complained that I'm hyper-partisan and unwilling to consider large-government solutions for ideological reasons. Now, you're criticizing me for finding common ground with Democrats and for viewing a large and effective diplomatic corp as a highly useful instrument of state policy. Maybe you should make up your mind...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    1.) Its clear from the context that the quote in question is an ironic understatement employed to highlight the lack of government abuses revealed in the leaks
    That's not my interpretation.

2.) The article is from a former Clinton official who is presumably a Democrat. As for myself, you have previously complained that I'm hyper-partisan and unwilling to consider large-government solutions for ideological reasons. Now, you're criticizing me for finding common ground with Democrats and for viewing a large and effective diplomatic corp as a highly useful instrument of state policy. Maybe you should make up your mind...
    When did I call you "hyper-partisan"? When have I ever called for "large" government solutions? You're putting words in my mouth. Top-down solutions are not always "large".

As for the comment about the author, what you don't seem to understand is that the Democratic party isn't "hard left". However, when the general public hears that term, they think Democrats. There's a disconnect between the public's general understanding and the official definition of the term. That's why it's a partisan statement, you can insult the other side without really insulting them. As for finding common ground, congratulations for coming down on the side of big government, something both parties support, even if their rhetoric says otherwise. That's pretty much the only time both parties find common ground.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

I still dont get the big vs. small arguments about government, that's a spill over from the economy and management gurus which are still preaching downsizing long after that particular idea bounced.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I still dont get the big vs. small arguments about government, that's a spill over from the economy and management gurus which are still preaching downsizing long after that particular idea bounced.
    It's a pretty simple concept. The US government has numerous large, inefficient bureaucracies. Unlike businesses, which have financial pressure to stay efficient (or go bankrupt), the government has little pressure (it just prints/borrows money).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Smile A True Hero

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    He's pretty screwed. First PayPal dumped him and now he's had his swiss bank account shut. His best chance of getting enough money to defend himself legally (if that's even realistically possible) is in the next few weeks from donations while the story is fresh. If people can't conveniently donate most won't. It's a bit scary how easily he's being pinned down and under such transparently spurious grounds. You have to think that his days as a free man are numbered, and possibly also his days as a living man.
    Yes, Julian Assange is a true hero. He has sacrificed his own life for the greater good.

But what is that good?

We know that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so liberal democracy limits power.

And Julian Assange has limited power by telling the truth.

Julian has not made propaganda, he has not killed nor threatened to kill anyone, he has simply published the truth on the internet.

Julian has done what every journalist should do, that is, publish the truth.

Unfortunately the journalists have been co-opted by the military/industrial complex along with MBTI. So it is no surprise the journalists are expressing their hatred of him. Just as the members here express their hatred of anyone who tells the truth about MBTI.

So Julian Assange is too good for us. He is more than we deserve.

But Julian serves a higher good. He serves the Enlightenment. He serves liberal democracy and the limitation of power. Julian Assange speaks truth to power.

And he learnt it all right here in Oz.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

While the diplomatic stuff have been fairly ho-hum, the more recent stuff about big corps such as Shell and Pfizer in Africa is far more interesting to me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...pfizer-nigeria
    What Pfizer did in pressuring Nigeria's AG doesn't particularly surprise me and I guess the embassy would be involved when an American company is being sued by the country. But what surprises me is that -
    a) The Pfizer country manager would be so frank with the embassy's economic counsel about the (underhanded) tactics they are using
    b) The economic counsel put the contents of the conversation as part of the cables
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ESFJ

Abwuh? How has the idea of downsizing bounced? Some businesses need to shed workers, some need to add workers. Others need to be more efficient with the workforce they already have. What are you talking about?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yes, Julian Assange is a true hero. He has sacrificed his own life for the greater good.

But what is that good?

We know that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so liberal democracy limits power.

And Julian Assange has limited power by telling the truth.

Julian has not made propaganda, he has not killed nor threatened to kill anyone, he has simply published the truth on the internet.

Julian has done what every journalist should do, that is, publish the truth.

Unfortunately the journalists have been co-opted by the military/industrial complex along with MBTI. So it is no surprise the journalists are expressing their hatred of him. Just as the members here express their hatred of anyone who tells the truth about MBTI.

So Julian Assange is too good for us. He is more than we deserve.

But Julian serves a higher good. He serves the Enlightenment. He serves liberal democracy and the limitation of power. Julian Assange speaks truth to power.

And he learnt it all right here in Oz.
    this is awesome stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's a pretty simple concept. The US government has numerous large, inefficient bureaucracies. Unlike businesses, which have financial pressure to stay efficient (or go bankrupt), the government has little pressure (it just prints/borrows money).
    Yeah but small doesnt even equal better or cheaper, that's a mistaken sort of logic.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Red face

Yeah but small doesnt even equal better or cheaper, that's a mistaken sort of logic.
    Smaller doesn't necessarily equal better, but it does equal cheaper.