User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Well in enemy of the state, while its fictional, it portrayed how a state could use arrest warrants to make it easier to flush people out of hiding. It's a possibility is all.

MBTI
    SEXY

Reading through the cables I think that some of the stuff that's in there is hilarious. It's like reading a soap opera, only it's real, and it's international diplomacy.
    (removed)

FigerPuppet

There are definitely some very entertaining cables inbetween. Also, it is pretty interesting to get an idea of how US officials go about collecting intelligence, evaluating and preparing, and how they attempt to push the US agenda through. But, as other people have mentioned, most of it is just standard summary/analysis/perspectivation of meetings that have taken place with almost no juice at all - even though it is educative reading analyses of political situations in various nations written by highly skilled people.
    But did these cables need to be leaked? No, I believe very few of them did. For example, the cable containing the locations of most of the United States' tactical nukes in Europe should not have been leaked, or the cables containing dishonouring statements about foreign officials. But the few cables that cast some light on the whole "Iraq has WMDs"-mess should. There's no doubt that this leak has made the future leakage of things that should be leaked more difficult. The question is if it is going to be worth it.

Wikileaks.org is currently down, but so far you can access the cables that have been released here.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The real question for me is when are there going to be leaks which arent exclusively US, any Russians going to leak about the Russian interference with UK weather or sub hunts around UK waters or the extent to which the mafia are calling the shots?

Or China?

No?

I didnt think so. Says a lot.

MBTI
    INFP

The Wikileaks releases in the past few months have definitely been a bit US-centric, sure, but that's probably because they all came from the same US source (i.e. Private Bradley Manning). Expect more of the same, there's apparently a lot more to come from the same leak.

Assange isn't accused of rape or anything like it. He's wanted purely for questioning on a case of something to do with not wearing a condom when asked to, which I'm pretty sure doesn't count as a sexual offense in most countries. The whole thing looks extremely iffy, not least due to the reluctance of most media outlets to research it in any depth.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    What a garbage article. You don't have to share Wikileaks' ideology to see the merit in releasing this information. The State department is not "cut off at the knees", their job will be a little more difficult for a while. There is a higher purpose, accountability. I'm glad to see that in many cases American public diplomatic statements are inline with its private statements. This is a good thing to know. I'm not in favor of blind trust. Reagan said "trust, but verify", and the release of this information gives the public an opportunity to verify.

This is such a terrible article, tossing around meaningless terms like "hard left". It's nothing but partisan rubbish. I'm not bothering to read the rest.
    I stopped at this gem: "Government-sponsored torture or domestic spying on U.S. citizens without legal oversight are profound questions of policy that merit substantial public knowledge."

No, actually, those things are "crimes," not "profound questions of policy."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

If crime is the policy, then can't it be both? We should be asking questions AS we pursue legal recourse against the criminals committing these revealed crimes, we don't have to do just one or the other.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I stopped at this gem: "Government-sponsored torture or domestic spying on U.S. citizens without legal oversight are profound questions of policy that merit substantial public knowledge."

No, actually, those things are "crimes," not "profound questions of policy."
    Wow, I missed that the first time I looked at the article (or maybe I didn't make it that far).

The Republican response to this issue has confirmed for me that they're really nothing but authoritarians that give occasional lip-service to classical liberal ideals. Rather than taking advantage of an opportunity to slim down the bureaucracy by setting a higher threshold for what should be designated as "secret", they chose the hard-line approach. Force. It doesn't surprise me, but it is frustrating.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ Yawn.

Some of us are for transparency.

MBTI
    INFP

He's pretty screwed. First PayPal dumped him and now he's had his swiss bank account shut. His best chance of getting enough money to defend himself legally (if that's even realistically possible) is in the next few weeks from donations while the story is fresh. If people can't conveniently donate most won't. It's a bit scary how easily he's being pinned down and under such transparently spurious grounds. You have to think that his days as a free man are numbered, and possibly also his days as a living man.