User Tag List

12 Last

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Angry Shocking photos of Indonesian maid after Saudi employer hacked off her lips Read mor

A young woman lies in a Saudi hospital with her head bandaged, her lips cut off, burns all over body and broken bones.

The shocking photos of her injuries have caused an uproar in her home country of Indonesia but many fear Sumiati is not alone in her suffering.
    She arrived in Saudi Arabia in July a high-spirited 23-year-old, eager to start work as a maid to help support her family back home.
    Four months later, she is Indonesia's poster child for migrant abuse, alone and staring vacantly from a hospital bed, her face sliced and battered.
    But while public anger has forced President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's government to acknowledge the problem for the first time, few expect any firm action to be taken.
    Gruesome images of Sumiati, now recovering in the Saudi city of Medina, have been splashed on the front pages of local newspapers in Indonesia and led TV news for more than a week.
    Her employer - who has been taken in for questioning by police - is accused of cutting off part of her lips with scissors, scalding her back with an iron, fracturing her middle finger, and beating her legs until she could hardly walk.
    She was admitted to the hospital three weeks ago unconscious, with signs of malnutrition and blood loss, and could barely speak, in addition to the horrifying visible injuries.
    She claims the mother and daughter both beat her regularly.
    'It's hardly the first such case,' said Wahyu Susilo of the Indonesian advocacy group, Migrant Care.

'Again and again we hear about slavery-like conditions, torture, sexual abuse and even death, but our government has chosen to ignore it. Why? Because migrant workers generate $7.5billion of dollars (£4.7billion) in foreign exchange every year.'
    Workers from Asian countries dominate service industries in the Middle East and there have been many reports of abuse - including recent allegations that an employer in Kuwait hammered 14 metal pins into the body of a Sri Lankan maid.
    'The wanton brutality alleged in these cases is shocking,' said Nisha Varia, senior women's rights researcher at the New York-based Human Rights Watch. It has called on authorities to investigate claims promptly and bring those responsible to justice.

She and others called cases like that of Sumiati the 'tip of the iceberg'.
    Go here to read more and see pics.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

WTF. That's horrible. I don't know how things like that happen.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTj

Her employer will probably be fined $20. I think the "eye for an eye" principle should apply in cases like these.

MBTI
    GONE

This is heinous, don't want to see the photos. I have heard of systemic mistreatment of domestic workers before but did not realize the middle east was a large employer or that the abuse was to this extent of cruelty. If these cases are representative of the norm and are not isolated cases being publicized for shock value, it certainly needs international or domestic pressure to resolve.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    This is heinous, don't want to see the photos. I have heard of systemic mistreatment of domestic workers before but did not realize the middle east was a large employer or that the abuse was to this extent of cruelty. If these cases are representative of the norm and are not isolated cases being publicized for shock value, it certainly needs international or domestic pressure to resolve.
    There was a case of some African prince in the UK, the guy was caught on hotel film cameras beating the crap out of his servant or aid, they discovered the servant dead in the hotel after that with fresh and old and healed injuries.

It was a bizarre case and there was some speculation that they had been in some kind of homosexual relationship too, although I'm not sure that's not simply conflating some whack sado-masochist behaviour with homosexuality.

At that trial there was some strange reference to widespread abuse and accepted norms of abuse in other countries. The coverage was patchy and I'm sure it could have been open to allegations of racism or cultural stereotyping but it might also have been correct, I'm not sure. It made me think.

Besides that and some of the stories and research into kidnapping, people trafficking and the like (which has entered into pop media with thrillers like Man on Fire or Taken and horrors like Shuttle) I think that slavery has made some sort of come back.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It is horrible, I'm not wanting to check out pictures either.

The reality is that there's a corruption which can creep into any master-servator/superior-subordinate relationship and this is just an extreme example of it, Eric Fromm went on at length about it in his books, particularly The Fear of Freedom and his reaction to reading Karen Horney's books about Neurotic Need of Affection, he thought it was a relationship which typified the rise of managerialism and ultimately underpinned Nazism.

Its something which typifies a lot of abusive relationships, its more horrible but it occurs more often not between servants and employers but adults and children, even parents and children. Jack Ketchum wrote a brilliant but disturbing novelisation of the protracted torture and murder of a vulnerable child by their neighbours in "The Girl Next Door".

Some of the shit that I've encountered in my career is awful and its not the worst, the casual cruelty of people one to another never ceases to amaze me.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

So when shall we level Saudia Arabia under the guise of installing democracy? Or is their oil no good now?
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It is only the tip of the iceberg.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    So when shall we level Saudia Arabia under the guise of installing democracy? Or is their oil no good now?
    I'm good with tomorrow as a start date.
    Fuck their oil.
    If ever there were a double standard in the Middle East, Saudi is it.
    They embody the worst of both the western and eastern worlds.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTJ

Muslims......