User Tag List

First 2345 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Well jeez, heart, how am I supposed to help you if you won't lift a finger to help yourself?!?
    I know, I know....

MBTI
    INFP

***Don't marry rich, for you will probably not feel accepted for who you are, or content with how you are treated. Money is power, and the rich family will be able to set the rules, because they've got the chedda. No matter how nice they are, there will be unspoken rules that you will break and be subtly scolded for or looked down upon for. Run from wealthy men while you still can.***

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    ***Don't marry rich, for you will probably not feel accepted for who you are, or content with how you are treated. Money is power, and the rich family will be able to set the rules, because they've got the chedda. No matter how nice they are, there will be unspoken rules that you will break and be subtly scolded for or looked down upon for. Run from wealthy men while you still can.***
    Marry rich and take a lover. Clean up in divorce court.

Oberon

Okay, heart... I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me with no other option.

How 'bout I just send you a certified check for 9.3 million dollars?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Okay, heart... I didn't want to have to do this, but you leave me with no other option.

How 'bout I just send you a certified check for 9.3 million dollars?
    Yes, I think that would do. I'll PM my address.

Oberon

Okay, cool! I figured out how to solve your problem!

Great. Now on to the next thing.

(Hey, it's obvious a solution exists; actually sending the money is a trivial exercise.)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Any hope after those two solutions have been exahusted?
    The main ways to become wealthy (in order) are:

1. Be born into a wealthy family
    2. Marry a wealthy person
    3. Obtain it illegally (e.g. embezzling or something similar)
    4. Be the owner/partner of a financial institution which loans money (bank, savings & loan, etc...).

The number of people who become wealthy by other means tends to drop off quite a bit after that.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

heart on fire

I would settle for security, but Oberon's check is likely to help with that. If he doesn't send it I am likely to be forced to sue for breach of contract, as distasteful as that might be, it seems something I will be forced to do. Pity.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The main ways to become wealthy (in order) are: 1. Be born into a wealthy family
    Not true. Over three-quarters of millionaires and those with greater wealth are first-generation.

Generally, to the thread's secondary topic: Losing my job unexpectedly in October was one of the most formative and affirmative experiences of my life. First, I was forced to regain and succeeded in improving my lot. Second, on severance and savings from a modest salary, I ultimately needed neither COBRA nor unemployment entitlements; and on the second try was accepted for individual health insurance, right before I was hired for my current job.

Credit goes to Providence and the market, but I now have even less regard for populist fairy tales.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Not true. Over three-quarters of millionaires and those with greater wealth are first-generation.

Generally, to the thread's secondary topic: Losing my job unexpectedly in October was one of the most formative and affirmative experiences of my life. First, I was forced to regain and succeeded in improving my lot. Second, on severance and savings from a modest salary, I ultimately needed neither COBRA nor unemployment entitlements; and on the second try was accepted for individual health insurance, right before I was hired for my current job.

Credit goes to Providence and the market, but I now have even less regard for populist fairy tales.
    It depends on your perspective. If you start a business then the probability of becoming wealthy is relatively low. If you are born into a wealthy family then the probability of becoming wealthy is quite high. If you start a lending business then your chances of becoming wealthy are fairly high compared to other businesses. Also a million dollars isn't really a lot of wealth anymore.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com