I didn't understand any of that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

He's from a welfare family because the royal family is supported by British tax money.

figsfiggyfigs

OH I got all of it, I just don't understand why anyone would care.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think the misunderstanding of the entire article by most of the commenters is what makes this link special.
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

Smile The Family

Queen Victoria had nine children and many more grandchildren who intermarried with the Royal Families of Europe and the Russias so Elizabeth is related to all the crowned heads of Europe and Russia. This is a connection that can't be bought with money.

But if you live in a society based on the hierarchy of money, how tempting to denigrate a society based on family.

But as we move more and more into the electronic society, family will become more and more important.

And family is important for our personal stability and for social stability.

And we have just seen a society based on the hierarchy of money crumble overnight. No wonder they want to denigrate the family. What else can they do?

Oberon

Heh heh... there's always a Hapsburg in the woodpile...!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Queen Victoria had nine children and many more grandchildren who intermarried with the Royal Families of Europe and the Russias so Elizabeth is related to all the crowned heads of Europe and Russia. This is a connection that can't be bought with money.

But if you live in a society based on the hierarchy of money, how tempting to denigrate a society based on family.

But as we move more and more into the electronic society, family will become more and more important.

And family is important for our personal stability and for social stability.

And we have just seen a society based on the hierarchy of money crumble overnight. No wonder they want to denigrate the family. What else can they do?
    1) I know Russia is partly in Asia, but 85% of the population lives in the European part of Russia, so I don't see the need to make it distinct from Europe, unless you just have an irrational soft-spot for Russia like I do.

2) So you're defending the Royal Family? Why is that? They are the richest people in the world - even wealthier than the Vatican, so how is it, really, that they aren't at the top of the hierchy with money?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    1) I know Russia is partly in Asia, but 85% of the population lives in the European part of Russia, so I don't see the need to make it distinct from Europe, unless you just have an irrational soft-spot for Russia like I do.

2) So you're defending the Royal Family? Why is that? They are the richest people in the world - even wealthier than the Vatican, so how is it, really, that they aren't at the top of the hierchy with money?
    Christians model themselves on the Holy Family, and to a surprising extent we model ourselves on the Royal Family.

Women follow all the births and marriages. They also follow the hairdos and fashions and social attitudes, and of course follow the scandals, like any family.

At a more subtle level men admire the Royal Naval Officers, in fact my father was an Officer in the Royal Australian Navy.

He married my mother in the equivalent of the Royal Marriage in Saint Mary's Cathedral in Sydney, under the crossed swords of his fellow Officers.

As a little boy I was dressed as a Grenadier Guard, a Redcoat guarding the Queen. And it is little known that the Redcoats played an important role in settling Oz.

Prince Charles went to a Public School in Australia and so did I. And we both played polo.

The Royal Family puts a human face on our liberal democratic State, which is based on the Enlightenment philosophy of Utilitarianism.

Not all Australians are interested in politics or philosophy, but all of us can identify with the family and do.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh ok so this is a childhood, romantic thing for you. It's okay. I understand. I'm an NF.

However, it's not really rational to relate to people who no longer serve a governing purpose other than to be a tax burdern upon not only the UK, but Canada as well.

I'd love to be able to relate to royalty - to have gone to private schools and to have my entire life paid for by other people just because of who my great-great-grandparents were. However, realistically, if England wants to take money from their college students, it makes no real sense to keep throwing money for expensive weddings at symbolic royals for sentimental purposes.