User Tag List

First 345

Results 41 to 43 of 43

  1. #41
    Senior Member Adasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I find it interesting that whenever these class issues come up, somehow the focus always becomes the feelings of the few and exorbitantly wealthy. But the masses of the impoverished, disadvantaged, disenfranchised, who have to put up with being at the bottom of a hyperbolic social structure apparently lack feelings worthy of concern.
    Incorrect reasoning. Why have you extrapolated what I have said to incorporate all the impoverished in the world? It'd be great if they did give all their money away, but let's be realistic: that's not going happen. To begin with, we were talking about the tax implications of a royal family; now we're talking about the emancipation of the working class via the renunciation of dynastic lines?

    That's an interesting debate and, in fact, one could also debate notions of fairness. However, neither did I initially consider. Therefore, I'm not going to continue this line of argument: it's tangential at best. I hope you can appreciate the decision as logical rather than insidious.
    That girls are raped, that two boys knife a third,
    Were axioms to him, who'd never heard
    Of any world where promises were kept,
    Or one could weep because another wept.

  2. #42
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    Incorrect reasoning. Why have you extrapolated what I have said to incorporate all the impoverished in the world?
    Well, what I did there was make an observation about the focus of discussion rather than the content of the arguments that were made, noticed it fell into a greater trend I've observed, and then did not so much infer but rather speculate as to what people might be thinking. Certainly I expressed what it looks like to me.

    And since I did respond to the actual content of the arguments, I don't feel like I was simply engaging in a non-sequitur.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    It'd be great if they did give all their money away, but let's be realistic: that's not going happen.
    Probably not, though it is entirely possible. It's just not at all plausible. But fairness seems to me to be an ethical question. Ethics have to start with asking what you want, regardless of whether or not it currently is. Then you use logic to determine how to achieve it, gauge the probability of achieving it, and determining the most optimal approximations in light of not being able to achieve it (if that's the case).

    Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    To begin with, we were talking about the tax implications of a royal family; now we're talking about the emancipation of the working class via the renunciation of dynastic lines?

    That's an interesting debate and, in fact, one could also debate notions of fairness. However, neither did I initially consider. Therefore, I'm not going to continue this line of argument: it's tangential at best. I hope you can appreciate the decision as logical rather than insidious.
    Well, I can't stop you. If the OP so wishes, perhaps this should be split at any rate.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adasta View Post
    My argument is that your point isn't particularly strong since unfairness occurs all the time and wide-scale revolutions do not.
    That's not a good argument. It's like saying that gravity don't make things fall down because we see objects in the air all the time. Or smoking doesn't cause cancer because many smokers stay healthy. Or that bullets don't kill because not everyone who gets shot die.

    Resentment towards unfairness increases the probability of corrective action.

Similar Threads

  1. USA Feds to collect DNA from every person they arrest
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2008, 01:41 AM
  2. Intelligent Forums/Internet Homes to Suck Information From?
    By Usehername in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 02:04 AM
  3. MBTI relationship to Personality Adaptations from TA
    By Silk in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO