Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Default A Discussion About Monarchy.

A royal engagement?
    Move over the Queen, hello Kate.

[youtube="lzezeIdZyeY"]William and Kate[/youtube]

What are the political implications?
    Is she a Diana replica? How much fuss is there going to be?

Are they next in line as the King and Queen in the monarchy of England that seems to proliferate? Well after Charles his father that is. What does this mean for Australia and other countries if anything? Are monarchies a positive or negative influence on society?

I dont think she's a Diana clone at all, from what I've heard she is a much different character altogether and I think the dynasty is different these days, there's unlikely to be an ugly horse loving Roman Catholic mistress in the wings.

For that reason too I think its likely that Charles would elect to allow William to become monarch in his place, he's already said and done many things which would disqualify him from that role anyway, if that where really possible, having an affair with a Roman Catholic Mistress and suggesting that you wish to change the monarchy from "Defender of The Faith" to "Defender of Faith" or "Defender of Faiths" would have warranted European/World shaping wars or executions in the past.

For the monarchies of Europe I dont think this could or would mean anything, I think it could be good for the UK in a way if some respectable, contemporary figure heads emerged besides politicians. The previous royals have been cursed with antiquated trappings of Victorian faded granduer and scandal. In the rest of Europe some truly grand contemporary royals have arisen and provided exemplary figure heads.

On the question of Monarchy, I have to say I'm undecided, I was once a fierce republican but jokes about a "President Blair" made me think again. I probably have much more respect for the institution of constitutional monarchy than I do for the dynasties which come and go, the dynastic nature of political classes in democracies like the US is part of the reason I dont think they conform very well to their founding principles.

What I do think is important is that there is a figure head seperate from the ruling powers of the day and some sort of seperation of powers should be an element of that too, they should also be legitimate, not usurpers or tyrants but this applies equally to either presidents or monarchs.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

http://www.tbs.com/video/conan.jsp?oid=234874

"i think you now have a better understanding how monarchy works"
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Oberon

I don't think Ms. Middleton will be another Diana Spencer... for one, she's a commoner, which to my way of thinking is a good thing.

Though I am a proponent of democratic republicanism, I have no argument with a constitutional monarchy as long as the people have a real voice and the law applies to all in equal measure.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't think Ms. Middleton will be another Diana Spencer... for one, she's a commoner, which to my way of thinking is a good thing.

Though I am a proponent of democratic republicanism, I have no argument with a constitutional monarchy as long as the people have a real voice and the law applies to all in equal measure.
    Those things applying which do you think is superior?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Those things applying which do you think is superior?
    I don't believe that heridity is a particularly valid qualification to hold the reigns of government... but then again I don't know that winning an election the way we currently run them is necessarily any better. In theory I prefer the democratic republic; in practice it's something of a toss-up.

MBTI
    INTP

Monarchy is a museum exhibition. Worthy of study, pretty to look at, and devoid of the primary function once served in years long since passed. One could easily make the concept functional in a contemporary society, but I would imagine that alternatives available would prove more beneficial to modern population.

MBTI
    INTP

So long as they have no real power and exist at the sufferance of the people and country that they symbolize, I don't particularly care about monarchies in other countries. I very much prefer the separation and balance of powers in Presidential systems, though, and wouldn't want to live within a country with a parliamentary system of government.

As or Kate Middleton, from what very little I've heard about her, she seems like a class act and a fairly independent women, she should be good or the British royal family-and her status as a commoner will probably strengthen support for the monarchy within the UK.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I am very supportive of an empowered monarchy. It is the most historically successful form of government, the most stable, and (most importantly) monarchs have the most incentive to foster the well-being and economic health of their countries or territories as their own capital estate depends on it. Most European countries (including Germany, currently the most highly industrialized country in the West) initially industrialized under the rule of empowered monarchies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't believe that heridity is a particularly valid qualification to hold the reigns of government... but then again I don't know that winning an election the way we currently run them is necessarily any better. In theory I prefer the democratic republic; in practice it's something of a toss-up.
    There is such a thing as an elective monarchy.