User Tag List

First 123 Last

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    There is such a thing as an elective monarchy.
    Yes, I'm familiar with this, Poland being the chief historical example that comes to mind. I think it's best considered a variation on representative democracy... you may call him a "king," but he's just the officeholder of the executive branch after all.

That said, three cheers for King Jan Sobieski!

Sniffles

The Holy Roman Empire aka Germany was another example too.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No I doubt she's a Diana replica, I don't believe she's a virgin (though I don't have proof) and she's middle-class while Diana was actually still a part of the aristocracy, though not a royal. They're probably better suited, being closer in age, while Diana was just sort of a pawn of a shy, pretty young girl who fulfilled the role.

I don't think people love the monarchy as much as they did even in the early 80's, and I know there are people complaining about British tax dollars going toward this wedding while funding has been taken from students.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I think Lark is right in that respect that for their association of the Monarchy Williams and Kate would be the most viable option. I wonder if Harry is going to rebel even more for attention now. I'm wondering since Kate is going to marry into the English Monarchy what the discussion is going to be like from here in until then. And why isn't Australia a Republic, are we going to have to pay reverence to them soon, I suppose it could be worse. As long as its just an image. The other memorable monarchy is the Danish Monarchy because Princess Mary was an Aussie and married into the family and was made people interested in them for awhile.

MBTI
    INFP

Another celebrity wedding, huh.

Seriously though this doesn't really mean anything. By the time Charles dies William will be an old man, and there's an even chance the republicans will have won out by then anyway. Even if he becomes King tomorrow it won't really matter, he wouldn't have much of a say in anything. Our monarchy is just not an important part of our political system, and rightly so. I don't see why it's better to have an elected, party-political head of state - the royal family do a good job of acting as ambassadors to foreign dignitaries, for the actual running of the country we have a parliament made up of MPs who are accountable to their constituents (the House of Lords needs a little work though). No system's ideal but I personally prefer the idea of a neutered monarchy to a transient, glory-seeking president.

Smile The Republican Monarchy

We had a referendum on the monarchy in 1999 and the whole of Oz, except for one small territory, voted to keep Elizabeth.

We are though a republic in fact and name, for our name is The Commonwealth of Australia, and commonwealth is an Old English name for republic.

But the deeper reason we kept Elizabeth is that we are a liberal democracy based on the limitation of power. And the best way to limit the power of the political class is to remain Subjects of the Queen.

However this is not understood by one dimensional republics, and fortunately we are culturally multi-dimensional with one dimension a Constitutional Monarchy and the other dimension a Republic.

But such a rich multi-dimensional system is only possible for a people with a rich multi-layered culture.

And fortunately our rich multi-dimensional culture has enabled us to resist the impoverished USA one dimensional culture and thrive true to ourselves under the Southern Cross.

MBTI
    INTj

She must have a long torso or short legs. They look the same height sitting down. That's the extent of my interest in royalty.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The Holy Roman Empire aka Germany was another example too.
    Er, what? I've a feeling I missed an important memo

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Er, what? I've a feeling I missed an important memo
    The Holy Roman Empire was an elective monarchy. Being an "Elector" was even an aristocratic title.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

The Holy Roman Empire was an elective monarchy. Being an "Elector" was even an aristocratic title.
    No I know that but the German part!

It was bad enough when it was the ice cream salesmen who had monopoly on the good titles!