User Tag List

123 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Why is American Culture so against the Martial Arts and Fight Sports

I think the title says it all.

Why is America so against fighting even when that fighting occurs in a safe and respectful environment that helps to turn possibly violent tendencies into positive focus and discipline?

Oberon

Do you think it really is?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I know I still have never told my father that the gym I go/went to is a fighting gym.

The one time I kind of brought it up they shut it down pretty fast.

So I just refer to what I do as the gym, and they know I order almost ever ppv fight.

NY still doesn't allow any pro MMA fights.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Because it's too preoccupied with armaments?.

Sniffles

Yes and no Oberon. Obviously a huge sector of American society is obsessed with MMA for example, while a huge sector is also strongly against it.

Yeah I always thought America is a relatively violent culture. Violent media. Crazy military spending. America also allows its citizens to own guns--which is appalling for many Europeans. This extends to its sports entertainment--pro wrestling, (American) football, martial arts, other fighting sports. It's a kind of obsessive requirement for men to be "tough".

If you use NY as an example, it's not indicative of greater America, just liberal America.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

What about the ridiculous practice of suspending both aggressor and aggressee in school altercations in the US?

America likes guns, but hates fighting aggression.

Aggression is OK in this country as long as it is channeled into a (non-fighting) sport.

If you use NY as an example, it's not indicative of greater America, just liberal America.
    NY loves boxing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    What about the ridiculous practice of suspending both aggressor and aggressee in school altercations in the US?
    Can you take a minute to think of a few practical reasons why this might be so?
    It doesn't seem that complicated to me... and kind of a completely different topic from the one you started.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Maybe. I'm of the opinion that humans have aggressive tendencies. I think it is much better to work through them than to be punished and ashamed for them.

The only message you are sending with that policy Jennifer is that it is not OK to defend yourself.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, American Football is actually kind of a physically violent sport and people love it - but it's more team oriented, I think there might be something to that.

Americans seem okay with boxing, too, which is a fighting sport, and it can be extremely dangerous.

Americans, as you have noted, also love their guns.

I just think martial arts and MMA aren't a traditionally American sport, and have a strong Eastern influence. Also, like I noted about American football, martial arts aren't exactly a team sport, and Americans love team sports.