User Tag List

First 56789 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    No me ether. They go into it voluntarily and the risks are pretty evident from the get go. Same with football although if they quit wearing pads, like rugby, there may be less injury. That's the argument I've heard. Hockey, well, people scream about this sport. Blatant head shots have to go but my issue is when clean checks are penalized and true infractions aren't, I start to have a problem with officiating. Hockey is nothing like it was in past years and this is good and bad. The game is much faster now, much more interesting to watch, imo but old time hockey is gone forever and this is somewhat sad.

Lumping these things in with school suspensions for fighting is ridiculous. It takes two to fight and while I have NO issue with standing up for yourself, including being physical when needed, there has to be consequences and it has to be taught that it is a last resort. I have no issue with guns and hunting in itself. I have an issue with retarded duck hunters firing rifles 50 feet from my dock and the deer hunters that know damn well there is no hunting in this residential area but do it anyway. You have a gun and you're walking through my property, I don't know what the fuck you're doing or planning. Don't act shocked that I have a problem with it.
    Yeah, I was suspended for 'fighting' in HS, except that I got sucker punched and did nothing wrong. I should have sued the school for breach of in loco parentis, since they put me in a room with the little prick who hit me, for two days. WTF?
    the funny/sad part is that a couple the coaches came up to me and acted like they were proud of me for fighting.
    DBL WTF?

Epiphany

I don't think American culture looks down on violent sports. If anything, it encourages it. I do find the growing popularity of MMA disturbing. It's one thing if two guys want to beat the shit out of each other for amusement, self-esteem, anger-management, or whatever excuse they can conjure up to justify their desire to inflict pain on someone else; but the fact that so many people pay money to watch it indicates a greater flaw in society, in my opinion. There's a difference between violence for defensive purposes and violence for entertainment.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'm guessing you don't have a rational reason for making an assumption about my motivations to pursue MMA.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm guessing you don't have a rational reason for making an assumption about my motivations to pursue MMA.
    You've pretty much stated your reasons for participating in this "sport." Regardless of your motivations, it is what it is: a display of violence for entertainment.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

How bout I rip your hobbies to shreds, and make you feel like a bad guy for choosing to engage in them?

I don't know how your fear of televised violence (lol good luck on getting that to disappear), relates to me hitting punching bags in a gym.

Epiphany

How bout I rip your hobbies to shreds, and make you feel like a bad guy for choosing to engage in them?
    You seemed to have taken my post as a personal attack. I don't know you, and I'm sure you have no ill-intentions. Certainly, inflicting pain on a willing body is better than doing so to innocent victims. My grievance is less against the participants of this activity than the popularity it attracts.

I don't know how your fear of televised violence (lol good luck on getting that to disappear), relates to me hitting punching bags in a gym.
    I don't fear televised violence, although I am repulsed by it. Punching bags is different than punching people.

A window to the soul

Masked Manifest keeps his cool and eloquently works the room under pressure...
    it's very INFP and kinda cute.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by perfectgirl View Post
    Masked Manifest keeps his cool and eloquently works the room under pressure...
    it's very INFP and kinda cute.
    Mask Manifest appreciates the compliment.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

All I know is Bruce Lee did something.
    I'm not into martial arts.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenue View Post
    Yeah I always thought America is a relatively violent culture. Violent media. Crazy military spending. America also allows its citizens to own guns--which is appalling for many Europeans. This extends to its sports entertainment--pro wrestling, (American) football, martial arts, other fighting sports. It's a kind of obsessive requirement for men to be "tough".

If you use NY as an example, it's not indicative of greater America, just liberal America.
    Exactly.
    A good post.