User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Also, and I'm not suppose to talk about it, but we have hundreds of Fight Clubs now in the US.

MBTI
    INTP

A lot of people might just be like me, and find MMA to be mostly boring; it usually ends up as submission-based ground fighting, which I just don't find fun to watch. The combat-based martial arts are far more entertaining, but one-on-one tournaments favor the various wrestling styles. Fake wrestling is probably more popular than the real thing because they keep the actors moving.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ a legitimate point.

However, as time goes on and MMA and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu will continue to saturate the culture, people will hopefully begin to understand the ground fighting a little more.

It is my hope that as MMA continues to become more legitimate, those covering MMA should begin to focus more on the discipline and hard work more and play down the Glitzy WWE style entrances.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-

On a tangentially related note; I recall hearing that more trivial and serious injuries alike occur in cheerleading than in all other highschool sports and athletic activities combined...
    But I don't remember the exact statistic.
    Assuming this is true, and people actually knew as such, I wonder how many parents would opt to keep their daughters and sons out of cheerleading in favor sending them to karate lessons or something. ;P

I don't really know about American culture being any more "against" fighting sports than other sports though, honestly.
    I always got the impression that boxing, MMA, and even pro-wrestling (yes, I know it doesn't really count) were enormously popular.
    I also knew quite a lot of kids on the wrestling team in highschool, and I don't think it was at all viewed in a negative or even violent light; it was just another sport.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I have no problem with grown men beating the shit out of each other. I watch pretty often.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Social class. Boxing and MMA are things lower class people do. Middle class people look down on them for it, even as they enjoy watching them fight.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I have no problem with grown men beating the shit out of each other. I watch pretty often.
    No me ether. They go into it voluntarily and the risks are pretty evident from the get go. Same with football although if they quit wearing pads, like rugby, there may be less injury. That's the argument I've heard. Hockey, well, people scream about this sport. Blatant head shots have to go but my issue is when clean checks are penalized and true infractions aren't, I start to have a problem with officiating. Hockey is nothing like it was in past years and this is good and bad. The game is much faster now, much more interesting to watch, imo but old time hockey is gone forever and this is somewhat sad.

Lumping these things in with school suspensions for fighting is ridiculous. It takes two to fight and while I have NO issue with standing up for yourself, including being physical when needed, there has to be consequences and it has to be taught that it is a last resort. I have no issue with guns and hunting in itself. I have an issue with retarded duck hunters firing rifles 50 feet from my dock and the deer hunters that know damn well there is no hunting in this residential area but do it anyway. You have a gun and you're walking through my property, I don't know what the fuck you're doing or planning. Don't act shocked that I have a problem with it.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Social class. Boxing and MMA are things lower class people do. Middle class people look down on them for it, even as they enjoy watching them fight.
    I just love to Rebel.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Devin View Post
    On a tangentially related note; I recall hearing that more trivial and serious injuries alike occur in cheerleading than in all other highschool sports and athletic activities combined...
    But I don't remember the exact statistic.
    No, but they are quite high.

I found this:

High school cheerleading accounted for 65.1 percent of all catastrophic sports injuries among high school females over the past 25 years, according to an annual report released Monday by the National Center for Catastrophic Sports Injury Research.
    I don't know what the number is when you include males, but it will drop.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

"American Culture" is not against martial arts. What I hear from parents:

"Karate (or insert other martial art) has been so good for my son, it's great for learning discipline"

"I wish I could afford Karate for my son/daughter"

"Have you heard how good Karate is for kids?"

I don't know anyone in my generation that is against the current type of martial arts training available, even if it's considered "not real martial arts." Overall it has a very positive vibe.

--
    On the other hand, boxing and mma (as I understand it) are about hurting the other person. I have no interest in having my children involved in something that could hurt them down the road. Even football, although a contact sport, does not need to hurt someone to be played correctly.

We all take risks but the risk of putting your child into different sports is outweighed by what people consider the benefits of sports. My children play soccer and I really am not thrilled with them hitting the ball with their head. I actually didn't realize they were doing it in practice and it is of concern for me. I am concerned about my children's brain development.

My brother wrestled in high school and as an adult had to get a titanium plate fused to his neck because of the neck "exercises" they used to do. Parents weigh how dangerous a sport is and decide on that if they should let their children do the sport.

As an aside, from what I understand cheer leading isn't really that much of a "popular girl" sport anymore, I think so many women wanted to be cheerleaders they put their daughters in it to try to "make" them popular. There are cheer leading things for girls as young as 4 now. My oldest is in 7th grade but that's what I've seen so far, maybe it will change in high school.

--

I have absolutely no interest in watching a sport where people try to hurt each other. That's pretty much it in a nut shell. It doesn't appeal to me at all. I value intelligence over brute strength.