User Tag List

First 34567 Last

I don't think America is against martial arts. I mean, from what I know, there ARE tournaments for these types of stuff.

As for the brutal fighting, like boxing until the other dude knocks out..., not really.

Most martial arts, especially the more traditional ones, don't stress beating people up for the sake of it.

I have to admit, my martial arts teacher did stress knocking people out. "All I care about is fucking, fighting, and rock n roll!!" Emphasis on the fucking. I lost respect for him after he cheated on his wife. In a way though, I'd prefer him over a more delicate, formal type of teacher. He emphasized more contact and sparring, didn't charge a thing, and didn't care for going crazy with belt grades (there were only 4.. and you could be a white belt for a long time).

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Martial arts are meant for self defense. In a self defense situation, one must (by design), be violent.

These are first and foremost skills meant to protect you in the real world, from an opponent bent on your destruction.

It's in realizing the seriousness of the power we wield, that we understand the importance of discretion in when we use it.

His main point in making it tense was that fights were tense.. and you had to get used to it, first and foremost, to even be able to make good decisions in real situations. That in itself takes you somewhere beyond technique.

There is a quote in Unforgiven (which admittedly is much different) that kind of applies:

Little Bill Daggett: Look son, being a good shot, being quick with a pistol, that don't do no harm, but it don't mean much next to being cool-headed. A man who will keep his head and not get rattled under fire, like as not, he'll kill ya. It ain't so easy to shoot a man anyhow, especially if the son-of-a-bitch is shootin' back at you.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It's called the dead game fight theory.

Go into battle as a man already dead.

In this way, a man realizes that he truly has nothing to lose.

I have to say though, personally, violence bothers me greatly. It's different when you have to do something, but I don't incorporate too much of an acceptance of violence outside of the necessary, like in daily life or something. That's the real kicker..where some people carry that attitude indirectly wherever they go, how they approach a lot of things. Those are "bad" people imo

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Totally agreed sir.

My goal has always been to be the LAST person to ball up their fists.

But when it becomes necessary, to act as immediately and ruthlessly as I possibly can to protect myself and others.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

America is one of the more fighting friendly nations, and there's martial arts in basically every US city and town. I should change the OP title to "European Culture". Where are the French barbed wire cage matches?

We're not Taiwan, with parents putting their children in muay thai fights for gambling money, but maybe one day.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Where are the French barbed wire cage matches?
    Plenty of Savate matches can get pretty rough.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't know man, gridiron is similar in technique in some ways to sumo and the new sport around here, muggle quidditch, can get pretty bloody, and we can't forget hockey. And again, boxing and wrestling are big, too. Maybe it's just because the violent sports you like aren't popular, or it might have something to do with books like Fight Club.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge