First 23456 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I have tried. I conclude that when defending yourself becomes a crime something is amiss.. when someone is trying to hurt me, and waiting for the Authorities to show up is not an option. I have 2 options; Flee or Fight. You can't regulate an instinct no matter how hard you try. You can only punish it.. and that makes no sense whatsoever.
    First of all, dude, you were talking about "school," weren't you?

1. It takes two to fight, and the administration can't know for sure who started it. Trying to determine who "more is at fault" in a conflict has historically NEVER worked, whether we're talking a school setting, an online forum, or a ground war in Asia. Everyone always has an excuse for throwing a punch. So all participants get punished. No confusion, no excuses: if you're in the fight, then you're in trouble.
    2. They think that punishing fighting regardless of excuse will be a deterrent, since no excuse will get you off.
    3. Even if it's "mock fighting," someone can get mock-hurt on school grounds, then might even decide they "didn't really want to fight" and it's the other guys fault. What a mess. "consensual fighting" works about as well as "consensual sex."
    4. Schools are potentially liable if a student gets hurt. They cannot appear to endorse fights at all; they need clear policy set up to designate themselves as non-liable.
    5. Other students can get hurt in fights. The school grounds need to feel safe.

Those are some reasons that flew out of my fingers without even really pondering it. Some might be arguable, but I think it's basically stuff like this that results in a "no fighting" policy. There seems to be a big difference between talking about free-form fighting in a school setting vs American violence in general.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The law should be written better then.

The school should never be able to to held liable for the maliciousness of an agent not in it's employ.

Those are some reasons that flew out of my fingers without even really pondering it. Some might be arguable, but I think it's basically stuff like this that results in a "no fighting" policy. There seems to be a big difference between talking about free-form fighting in a school setting vs American violence in general.
    In the interest of candor Jennifer, I feel that I should inform you that in starting this thread I wanted to discuss the issue in the title, but also (my ulterior motive) I wanted to also discuss what I see as the "Pussification of America" (forgive the vernacular).

Schools should be able to take a hands off approach. They didn't instigate it. The fault lies with the aggressive child that instigated the action, not the school that was too busy trying to teach to do anything about it.

And any fault for the ancillary injuries of other students lies with the aggressor as well. The school, can't stop bullying no matter how hard it tries. Has the no fighting policy done anything to curb it.... NO

Maybe if more kids thought it was OK to defend themselves, and see their comrades not being punished for doing so, maybe bullies would have to worry about more than they do currently.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

^ i worked as a guidance counselor for a while and got to see this kinda stuff in action... and schools throw kids out for fighting because fighting doesn't belong at school. if they want to take it up on their own time outside of school, that's fine, and their parents can deal with them, but it's disruptive to other kids and to their education when blatant power struggles are occurring on the school's grounds and on the school's time.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise
    I just think martial arts and MMA aren't a traditionally American sport, and have a strong Eastern influence. Also, like I noted about American football, martial arts aren't exactly a team sport, and Americans love team sports.

actually where i grew up martial arts is definitely popular. it's one of those things preppy moms enroll their kids in.

i don't think america is against fighting so much as fighting just isn't deep in our cultural roots. i don't think it's actively rejected so much as pushed off the list in favor of other, more culturally-rooted sports.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ Excellent argument.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Do you think it really is?
    Yeah, got to be a trick question this one.

Thumbs down

C'mon, boxing is as American as apple pie.

And why not? The USA was baptised in a violent, bourgeois revolution against lawful authority and confirmed in a violent civil war.

MBTI
    INTj

MMA is the only sports I enjoy watching and I am thinking about learning some of the skills for self defense, but I question whether it's desirable to promote and glorify aggression. While it might be an innate tendency, the time has past where this trait enhances one's ability to succeed in life. Social cooperation skills seems more useful these days.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The key is to glorify the hard work and discipline of martial arts (a very eastern perspective) and to play down the "I'm stronger than you Machismo" ( a very western perspective).

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Would you want your kids boxing?
    I don't know why, but this reminded me of that scene in Bells of St. Mary where Sister Benedict teaches a boy boxing so he could go beat up a bully.

Because Americans have a knack for making it more lame than it is.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY]:|[/youtube]