User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 86

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Let the kid do what they are passionate about.

    I never said I want kids to do whatever they want all the time.

    Also Marm, why is aggression so verboten to you?
    Aggression is verboten to me because I was in a somewhat abusive relationship, and he learned to be that way from his father. Also, my mother was beaten by my father, which is why she divorced him when she was still pregnant with me.

    Encouraging aggression is pure idiocy. Those instincts can be focused more intelligently into things like playing baseball or competing at track, or even into business or playing chess.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,128

    Default

    Because citizens trained in martial arts have less desire for weapons.

  3. #23
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    @ Marm: Ignoring it only serves to make it swell and explode later.

    Sorry about what personally happened to you, but how long are you going to let the faults of those who abused you define your worldview?

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    @ Marm: Ignoring it only serves to make it swell and explode later.

    Sorry about what personally happened to you, but how long are you going to let the faults of those who abused you define your worldview?

    Well, you're wrong. Some cops and military men beat their wives all the time, and so do boxers and other sports figures. Encouraging violence just causes more violence.

    I'm through talking to you.

  5. #25
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Training in MMA has done nothing but make me a less aggressive person.

    It has taught me how to more constructively deal with my rougher edges.

    I understand that this topic touches personal topics for you, and I apologize if I have tread upon your feelings.

    It was never my intention to hurt you, only to have a discussion.

  6. #26
    Senior Member You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    UFC
    NFL
    MMA
    WWF


    America and I seem all for it.

  7. #27
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well, you're wrong. Some cops and military men beat their wives all the time, and so do boxers and other sports figures.
    But that by no means proves that it was the encouragement toward violent recreation that leads to this behavior.

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Encouraging violence just causes more violence.
    A tautology that begs the question: Is all violence created equal?

    I am a recreational shooter and a hunter... violent pastimes by definition. By your reasoning, by my present age of 43 I should have already become a bell tower sniper on some college campus somewhere, ultimately taken down in a hail of police gunfire... yet this has not happened. In fact, in personal behavior I am one of the gentlest men that I know. I rarely even raise my voice.

    I think your logical fallacy about violence belies a well-earned phobia. Your reaction to any kind of violence is reasonable, but your logic isn't... and that's to be expected, under the circumstances. We understand, but don't expect us to share your perspective without having shared your experience.

  8. #28
    Senior Member You's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I know I still have never told my father that the gym I go/went to is a fighting gym.

    The one time I kind of brought it up they shut it down pretty fast.

    So I just refer to what I do as the gym, and they know I order almost ever ppv fight.

    NY still doesn't allow any pro MMA fights.
    But they allow Boxing.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Training in MMA has done nothing but make me a less aggressive person.

    It has taught me how to more constructively deal with my rougher edges.

    I understand that this topic touches personal topics for you, and I apologize if I have tread upon your feelings.

    It was never my intention to hurt you, only to have a discussion.
    That's why I said that I'd rather my kids study martial arts than boxing or even football, because it teaches self-control. You haven't hurt me, it's just that I'd rather not have this discussion.

    Really leaving now.

  10. #30
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    But they allow Boxing.
    NYC has a ton of boxing history, the city is of course going to continue doing something they have been doing forever.

    But given the current liberal attitude against violence, an attitude that NY ascribes to, of course they aren't going to accept a new venue for what they would call "barbarism".

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] Why is this book so highly recommended?
    By Jaidyn in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-16-2015, 07:24 AM
  2. [ISTJ] Why is this ISTJ so flaky?
    By Summer in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-23-2014, 06:40 AM
  3. [MBTItm] Why is your bff/so your bff/so?
    By taylor.tate13 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 04:28 PM
  4. Why is our culture of acceptance so hypocritical?
    By netzealot in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM
  5. Of death and children and American culture... What's the reason?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO