Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Maybe. I'm of the opinion that humans have aggressive tendencies. I think it is much better to work through them than to be punished and ashamed for them.

The only message you are sending with that policy Jennifer is that it is not OK to defend yourself.
    Many hold the belief that physical fighting should be an absolute last resort - and for good reason, I mean honestly it's better to work through things with discussion if possible. The reason both people are suspended from school is to attempt to teach them that physical fighting is not the answer, and also probably in some cases the administration doesn't know who actually started it and they don't want to take sides. I guess they'd rather someone not fight, and report the agressor instead, and I can see why.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I noted earlier that it was OK in America to focus aggression into non fighting sports. I most specifically meant football.

How accepted is boxing really.

Would you want your kids boxing?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Many hold the belief that physical fighting should be an absolute last resort - and for good reason, I mean honestly it's better to work through things with discussion if possible. The reason both people are suspended from school is to attempt to teach them that physical fighting is not the answer, and also probably in some cases the administration doesn't know who actually started it and they don't want to take sides. I guess they'd rather someone not fight, and report the agressor instead, and I can see why.
    I wholeheartedly agree that it should be a last resort. Who says that a last resort situation can't occur to a child?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well, American Football is actually kind of a physically violent sport and people love it - but it's more team oriented, I think there might be something to that.

Americans seem okay with boxing, too, which is a fighting sport, and it can be extremely dangerous.

Americans, as you have noted, also love their guns.

I just think martial arts and MMA aren't a traditionally American sport, and have a strong Eastern influence. Also, like I noted about American football, martial arts aren't exactly a team sport, and Americans love team sports.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Can you take a minute to think of a few practical reasons why this might be so?
    It doesn't seem that complicated to me... and kind of a completely different topic from the one you started.
    I have tried. I conclude that when defending yourself becomes a crime something is amiss.. when someone is trying to hurt me, and waiting for the Authorities to show up is not an option. I have 2 options; Flee or Fight. You can't regulate an instinct no matter how hard you try. You can only punish it.. and that makes no sense whatsoever.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I noted earlier that it was OK in America to focus aggression into non fighting sports. I most specifically meant football.

No, but I don't really want them playing football or MMA.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No. If I had children I would not want them boxing. I would actually rather have them study martial arts than boxing. I'd also rather they play soccer or baseball than football.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

No, but I don't really want them playing football or MMA.
    My point precisely.

It should be about what the kid wants.

I wasn't allowed to play football either.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My point precisely.

It should be about what the kid wants.
    Nope, I don't like the risk of brain damage. Anyway, I think it should be about what the kid wants in general rather than specific terms. That is to say if your kids like the arts you should let them participate in the arts rather than forcing them to play sports, and if they like to play sports you shouldn't force them into the arts. Sure, kids should be encouraged in their natural preferences and interests in mind, but at the end of the day hopefully someone with their best interest is there to help them make decisions while they are still minors. I think it's faulty thinking to say children should just be able to do whatever they want. I hate that kind of thinking.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Nope, I don't like the risk of brain damage. Anyway, I think it should be about what the kid wants in general rather than specific terms. That is to say if your kids like the arts you should let them participate in the arts rather than forcing them to play sports, and if they like to play sports you shouldn't force them into the arts. Sure, kids should be encouraged in their natural preferences and interests, but at the end of the day hopefully someone with their best interest is there to help them make decisions while they are still minors. I think it's faulty thinking to say children should just be able to do whatever they want. I hate that kind of thinking.
    Let the kid do what they are passionate about.

I never said I want kids to do whatever they want all the time.

Also Marm, why is aggression so verboten to you? (forbidden or Kinjiru if you would prefer other languages)