User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I think, and I'm being serious, only women should be allowed to do these pat down checks and perhaps the whole security process. If it were only women in charge, I think everyone would be a lot happier with these invasive security measures... groping or no groping.
    Well if you are a female you can request that another female do the patdown. You might have to wait a bit as they get a woman TSA officer for you but that is an option now. Years ago a female coworker complained that on her trip to our training the TSA officer made her take off her cardigan. This might not sound like a big deal but what people (guys) don't know is that women can wear nothing or the equivalent of lingerie underneath cardigans. That was in her case. She said she felt really violated because they made her take off her cardigan right there on the spot and do the body check and it was obvious she was wearing the equivalent of underwear. She said even other passengers were staring at her so it made her more uncomfortable. The TSA actually did take these complaints into account because they were happening all over the country. Later when I was wearing a sweatshirt and entering the security line at an airport the female TSA agent asked me if I was wearing anything under my sweatshirt and I didn't understand what she meant so I said "no" and they didn't make me take it off.

Buuuut, yeah, the TSA practices could definitely be improved. Then again, some airports in other countries it is ridiculous. Bogota, Colombia was pretty bad getting in and out, I think they are looking more for drugs than WMD but a lot of the delay was simply lack of staff and poor planning. I do like how you can keep your shoes on in many other places.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I think, and I'm being serious, only women should be allowed to do these pat down checks and perhaps the whole security process. If it were only women in charge, I think everyone would be a lot happier with these invasive security measures... groping or no groping.
    What difference does it being a woman make? I don't care if the TSA agent is an asexual eunuch; I simply don't want to have a stranger grope my body. The naked x-ray is humiliating also.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with the body scans.
    Hopefully you also don't have a problem with TSA agents snickering about your small penis size...or maybe they only do that to co-workers.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local-b...-92971929.html

The safety of the scanners are being questioned also....although, it seems the odds of dying from radiation from a body scanner is about the same as, oh, dying in a terrorist attack.

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-11-12/t...n?_s=PM:TRAVEL

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...y-scanners.ars
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hrm. I really have no problem with those body scanners or or pat downs. They don't make me uncomfortable. I was actually hoping the body scanners would make things easier for me.

I have trouble at airports. Between the 13 piercings I have, and the 7 metal screws/bars in my left leg... Something on me does not like metal detectors. So I always get pulled aside. Have to get patted down. Actually, in one airport they even asked me to unzip my jeans and fold the hem down a few inches. Thats right - packin' some explosives in dat ass.

They always get uncomfortable about the medical brace that is built into my left shoe. I always have to wait for like 20 minutes while they call in 6 more guys to inspect my brace. One even wanted me to go into the flight shoeless, and get my shoes back at the other airport. But the person I was flying with was really unhappy about it and bitched until some senior staff member showed up and gave me the OK to wear my shoes onto the plane.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    ENFJ

Wow, my city was just named most dangerous in the U.S.

So I get a whole bunch of inspection at the airport when I'm a good million times more likely to die in a drive-by once I leave the airport than I am from a terrorist attack, with or without body scanners, but nobody's going to search all the drivers getting into their cars so they're not guns, are they?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Fined for what?

For an alternative model to the TSA:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...-little-bother
    Yeah, I lived in Israel for 6 months and dealt through their security systems on a regular basis. I do think their approach is very efficient and effective (and the general mindset toward security is cautious but manages to completely avoid paranoia). The security at major bus and train stations is equivalent to a small international airport. The airport itself is really full on. I went through 3 different security measures before checking in my bags. I was also running a little late (typical) and they had this great system to speed up the process so I wouldn't miss my flight.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTj

I think it's a big fuss about nothing. So what if some random worker looked at anonymous images of your body? It's much less invasive than when strangers see you in a public shower.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I think it's a big fuss about nothing. So what if some random worker looked at anonymous images of your body? It's much less invasive than when strangers see you in a public shower.
    Strangers aren't bombarding you with x-rays when you shower with them, though, and usually they aren't taking pictures.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Strangers aren't bombarding you with x-rays when you shower with them, though, and usually they aren't taking pictures.
    But don't they claim that the radiation you get is far less that the dose from a single flight? The pictures don't matter because they are anonymous. Even if they're not, what does it matter? I think I look presentable.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'll take the tiny increased risk of a terrorist attack over the massive inconvenience this is causing so many people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaHqD5OAYi0&NR=1
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."