User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Moving to DC is more important to me than whether or not I have to turn my head and cough though so I will begrudgingly submit.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

And as someone in the process of obtaining my concealed carry, a pat down isn't nearly as bothersome for me as for most.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Haha yeah, I do agree that being groped by the TSA is not very pleasant. I think it's more pleasant than having your plan hijacked, though.

There are trade-offs to make. Air travel is already the single safest way to travel. The chance of dying in a aircraft-related accident are approximately a 1-in-200,000. The chance of being struck by lightning in your lifetime is approximately 1-in-6,250. It's about a 1-in-500,000 chance of being killed by lightning. Would you be willing to go through invasive pat downs or naked body scans several times a year if it prevented being injured or killed by lightning?

We are trading off monetary expense, inconvenience and the loss of dignity/privacy and/or increased X-ray radiation in hopes that these scanners (and invasive pat downs) make us safer. These techniques do not detect what you have swallowed or otherwise stowed in a body cavity, so there's already ways to circumvent the system (such as swallowing a bladders of explosive/flammable/toxic liquids, for example). Since the terrorists are equally aware of the security systems in place, I think we can assume they will plan around such security. I suspect such scanners and pat downs make us safer, but I think it's only by an infinitesimal margin.

No security system is going to make us absolutely safe. Any security system that can be created is hackable somehow. So then the question becomes how much are we going to pay in monetary expense, inconvenience and loss of dignity and freedom for what size an increase in safety. In a way, we are giving away to our government for a promise of safety what we would never willingly give to anyone else.

I also grow weary of the "heads I win/tails you lose" aspect of the security pushers. If we detect a terrorist threat without such technology or if there is an unsuccessful attempt that made it through security (like the shoe and underwear bombers), then it means we need additional security (taking shoes off) or technology (back scatter machines). If we detect a terrorist threat because of the added security, then it proves its worth and how we should add more of it. If a terrorist attack is successful, it means we need still more security. If there's no attack, it shows how investing in additional security works.

Every single outcome is interpreted to mean that we need more security. That doesn't seem like sanity to me.

MBTI
    INTJ

I got a weapon for them

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I personally don't have a problem with the body scans. They should be using bomb sniffing dogs more instead though, it's the least evasive, and more effective than pat downs.

You're infinitely more likely to die in a car crash, or by a coconut falling on your head, than by someone blowing up their underwear on a plane.

MBTI
    ENFJ

If they're going to pat me down then the least they can do is give me a good fingering.

Does moaning lewdly make me a terrorist?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    GONE

Fined for what?

For an alternative model to the TSA:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...-little-bother
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFJ

Will they let me strip? Oh, I do so want to strip! Do you think if I ask really nicely, they'd give me a cavity search?

Oooh this makes my thanksgiving trip so exciting!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Fined for what?

For an alternative model to the TSA:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/ar...-little-bother
    I read that article too. I thought it was interesting, although I'm not sure I 100% understand the Israeli security process.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

^ Oh I get it. That will take some top-notch psychological training. A lot of people seem to have anxiety disorders here and stammer, flush for no reason... If done well, it's a good idea. But if we don't know what we are doing, it will be a huge mess.

I don't understand how 'random screenings' are efficient or logical to catch terrorists. Like, maybe if we check one out of every thousand, we MAY catch someone? Or is this just to cover up the racial profiling?

Also, I don't understand what's so awful about those full body scans? I rather do those than have someone touch me.

And do they randomly screen children?