User Tag List

Hate

Default Cop kills unarmed man by accident and gets 2 years with time served – free in 72 days

Johannes Mehserle, the BART police officer who shot Oscar Grant behind the back will be out of jail in about 72 days. The prison term handed down by Judge Robert Perry in Los Angeles where the case was heard.

Judge Perry dismissed the jury finding on gun enhancement. Johannes Mehserle's involuntary manslaughter was sustained. He was sentenced to the minimum possible --- two years that takes into consideration a combined 292 days in jail time served and good behavior credits.

In California's overcrowded penal system, the two year sentence is really a one year term. Mehserle will probably serve an additional 72 days in county or state prison. The judge has discretion to send Mehserle to either county or state prison.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=76440

Johannes Mehserle, 28, contended that he mistakenly used his firearm instead of an electric Taser weapon when he shot Oscar J. Grant III in the early hours of New Year’s Day 2009. But prosecutors argued at his trial that Mehserle meant to reach for his handgun as he tried to handcuff an unresisting Grant, who was lying face-down on the platform floor.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...sentenced.html

This is the original video of the incident: Warning - graphic video

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZTbJH6BNaU&feature=related"]original video[/YOUTUBE]

The very same day in CA… a 20 year old man was sentenced to 34 years to life in prison for injuring an innocent man in a retaliation shooting that was committed when he was only 17 years old. I know these two situations are radically different, but there seems to be a pretty wide gap when it comes to charges and sentences.

Mehserle’s charges were involuntary manslaughter and the jury finding on gun enhancement was thrown out. He got 2 years with credit and time served and should be out in about 72 days.

The 20 year old's (Adrian Arroyo) charges were enhanced by a felony charge of actively participating in street gang activity and another felony charge of street terrorism. He got 34 years for a crime that was committed as a minor in which a person was injured and not killed. Not to mention that he was also charged with terrorism. I’m not trying to defend his behavior, but even charges of murder hold a lesser sentence than what he got. For first degree murder a person can get 25 to life and for second degree murder 15 to life.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/arroy...ang-judge.html

Thoughts?

That's to be expected with armed cops imo. He probably thought he had a good reason.

Better filtering methods is needed.

Edit- Expecting punishments to be fair sounds like a fairytale. And I think punishments is not very effective anyhow.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

How do you mistake which side your firearm is on and which side your taser is on? Wouldn't they feel different in your hand had you been trained to use them? Wouldn't you double check? The situation wasn't even out of hand and so nervousness isn't a liable reason. What kind of stupid pigs are they certifying in the police academy?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    How do you mistake which side your firearm is on and which side your taser is on? The situation wasn't even out of hand and so nervousness isn't a liable reason. What kind of stupid pigs are they certifying in the police academy?
    You dont. It's not possible, unless you are very retarded or loaded on drugs.

Hate

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    Edit- Expecting punishments to be fair sounds like a fairytale. And I think punishments is not very effective anyhow.
    Hey a guy can dream, can't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Snuggletron View Post
    How do you mistake which side your firearm is on and which side your taser is on? Wouldn't they feel different in your hand had you been trained to use them?
    Yeah, seriously... you gotta be an absolute moron to make that mistake. I've held both of those in my hand and they feel radically different. I think they even have some kind of safety mechanism on their holster too that makes it harder to draw their weapon.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm quite surprised he had any sentence at all.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Judges tend to be soft on cops as a rule. Its rare for a DA to file criminal charges against police for even the most egregious acts (blatent perjury by the police is essentially always ignored in the criminal courts)

By throwing out the gun enhancement the court cut the potential exposure in half. The judge essentially acted as the 13th juror and took the role of "finders of fact" away from them.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"