Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Riiiiiight, and yet, you equate slavery-enforcing Democrats with modern libertarians? And I am trolling? ... [libertarian pamphlet jargon]
    Well, if you note the other points I made besides slavery, and think of slavery as the free enterprise 19th century Southern plantation owners thought of it, then...of course, I will concede that most 21st century libertarians don't want slaves, or at least wouldn't discriminate upon what kind of wage slaves or indentured servants they employed based upon a silly thing like race.

I simply pointed out that "Democrat" and "Republican" just mean members of those parties. The beliefs and attitudes of parties change over time, and they aren't monolithic, anyway. Your language implied that there was some sorts of intrinsic meaning to the terms "Democrat" or "Republican," and they have changed. I disagree.
    I was just stating that there is no intrinsic meaning to either of those words, and you pretty much are agreeing with me.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Their revisionist history doesn't work without the small l.
    You really like the word "revisionist," huh? How about we try something? Refute the factual basis of anything I've written. Show me where my history is not rooted in evidence.

And please acknowledge that libertarian does not = Libertarian. You know the difference between democrat and Democrat, right? You know that there IS a difference, I hope. And republican vs. Republican? Please don't be a douchebag.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

You really like the word "revisionist," huh? How about we try something? Refute the factual basis of anything I've written. Show me where my history is not rooted in evidence.

And please acknowledge that libertarian does not = Libertarian. You know the difference between democrat and Democrat, right? You know that there IS a difference, I hope. And republican vs. Republican? Please don't be a douchebag.
    NO U

MBTI
    ESFJ

Well, if you note the other points I made besides slavery, and think of slavery as the free enterprise 19th century Southern plantation owners thought of it, then...
    Southern plantation owners didn't really want "free enterprise." "Free enterprise" + "slave workforce" = contradiction in terms.

of course, I will concede that most 21st century libertarians don't want slaves, or at least wouldn't discriminate upon what kind of wage slaves or indentured servants they employed based upon a silly thing like race.
    That doesn't make sense in English. What are you trying to say?

I was just stating that there is no intrinsic meaning to either of those words, and you pretty much are agreeing with me.
    You said the meanings had changed, which implies they had some type of intrinsic meaning, right?

MBTI
    ESFJ

NO U
    Yeah, that's what I thought. I am sorry a libertarian ran over your dog, but it's time to get over it. Read a couple of articles from Reason, or watch an old Milton Friedman video or something. Get an actual sense of what you're deriding.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

1) I think you know exactly what I mean.

2) No word has "intrinsic" meaning. None. Not one. Words are just agreed upon symbols that represent things. And no, I still argue that what it means to be Democrat or a Republican has changed considerably over the years.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, that's what I thought. I am sorry a libertarian ran over your dog, but it's time to get over it. Read a couple of articles from Reason, or watch an old Milton Friedman video or something. Get an actual sense of what you're deriding.
    Yeah, I went through a phase where I'd leaf through Reason in the college library. I had a good laugh.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Yeah, I went through a phase where I'd leaf through Reason in the college library. I had a good laugh.
    At what, exactly? I know the Hit & Run posters can be entertaining, but most of the articles are serious. . . I'd like to hear your actual reasoning why you find libertarianism so laughably objectionable. Please explain. I REALLY want to know.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

At what, exactly? I know the Hit & Run posters can be entertaining, but most of the articles are serious. . . I'd like to hear your actual reasoning why you find libertarianism so laughably objectionable. Please explain. I REALLY want to know.
    Current ad running at the top of reason.com: "Atlas Shrugged: The Making of a Movie"...I think I'll pass

I also can't wait to read "Job-Killing Environmentalists."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess.