First 202829303132 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

^ + infinity

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    If they were easy to make, we would figure out what we want and what we don't want a hell of a lot faster.
    Not really; like businesses, the overwhelming number of 'solutions' prove to be failures. Failed top-down solutions are much much more difficult to dispense with than bottom-up solutions, due to the creation of vested interests, dependent political clients, and bureaucratic inertia. Even as one after another top-down solution is rejected as unworkable or involving too many unforeseen consequences, the only alternatives that would be explored in such a morass of bureaucracy and patron-client relationships would be other top-down solutions, usually ones which do not substantively differ from past 'solutions'.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Not really; like businesses, the overwhelming number of 'solutions' prove to be failures. Failed top-down solutions are much much more difficult to dispense with than bottom-up solutions, due to the creation of vested interests, dependent political clients, and bureaucratic inertia. Even as one after another top-down solution is rejected as unworkable or involving too many unforeseen consequences, the only alternatives that would be explored in such a morass of bureaucracy and patron-client relationships would be other top-down solutions, usually ones which do not substantively differ from past 'solutions'.
    Of course it's always going to be more difficult to add than to subtract, but where has the process gotten us? We're drowning in Social Security and Medicare responsibilities. Congress still passes garbage like Medicare part D. Sorry, but I don't see the advantage of having a slow moving government.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Of course it's always going to be more difficult to add than to subtract, but where has the process gotten us? We're drowning in Social Security and Medicare responsibilities. Congress still passes garbage like Medicare part D. Sorry, but I don't see the advantage of having a slow moving government.
    So it's your premise that we need the government to be able to move faster... so we could have screwed up this badly even sooner?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    So it's your premise that we need the government to be able to move faster... so we could have screwed up this badly even sooner?
    I dispute the claim that slow government reduces bad legislation. I think it increases it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I dispute the claim that slow government reduces bad legislation. I think it increases it.
    I hope you're not asking us to take your word for it. You'll have to show your work.

What reasoning led to that conclusion?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Slow government reduces legislation period -- bad, or good. Bad legislature itself is a result of bad legislators, so so long as the US congress continues to be made up of fucking lawyers...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Slow government reduces legislation period -- bad, or good. Bad legislature itself is a result of bad legislators, so so long as the US congress continues to be made up of fucking lawyers...
    I dont know, the country is a democracy, people get the government they deserve.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I dont know, the country is a democracy, people get the government they deserve.
    The government the people deserve is worse than the government I deserve. One of the reasons I oppose democracy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    The government the people deserve is worse than the government I deserve. One of the reasons I oppose democracy.
    I cant think of that being a good reason to oppose democracy, its probably good enough to oppose its failure but.