First 162425262728 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    What is the guarantee that the monarchy has superior people ruling?
    None, but they would have the most incentive to promote societal well-being and economic development, as the country is their capital. Unlike civil servants (essentially salaried managers), their net worth is dependent on tax revenue, which is itself dependent on GDP and (most importantly) on the affluence of the middle class, as the capacity of the bureaucratic apparatus to tax the wealthy is limited.

Would you support re-instituting political power to the royal family in Britain? They are genetically representative of a past successful monarchy.
    In Britain I'd support restoration of power (which is currently held by the German House of Saxo-Coburg-Gotha) to the Jacobites. In the US (which doesn't have a monarchy properly speaking) a monarchy would probably arise from the present political/financial elite. I would support no one presently in politics for the post, except the Paul family (which would be most likely -- support for aristocratic rule is surprisingly enough most common among Hoppean libertarians within the Mises institute, and Rand Paul could perhaps ride the coattails of a Tea Party movement that gained momentum to the presidency), and perhaps the Forbes family. Among business elites I'd support a Buffet monarchy.

In Puerto Rico (my own homeland), the best candidates for an emerging royal family are actually my own. I'm related to the first elected governor of Puerto Rico, and directly descended from the founders of Popular, Inc., the biggest financial conglomerate in the Caribbean.
    Last edited by Aleksei; 11-16-2010 at 08:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Bush went to Harvard and Yale, but it doesn't exactly mean academics had a seat at the table in his administration.
    Uhhhh. . . really? http://www.frumforum.com/why-the-gop...academic-elite

"Even the Bush administration, which critics tried to portray as anti-academic, benefited enormously from the Ivy League. George W. Bush went to Yale (as did his father) and went on to do an MBA at Harvard – albeit with moderate grades. Donald Rumsfeld went to Princeton. Paul Wolfowitz was at Cornell – though a Democrat at the time. Treasury secretary Hank Paulson started out at Dartmouth, before doing his MBA at Harvard. Chairman in President Bush’s Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board – and National Security Advisor in the administration of George H.W. Bush – Brent Scowcroft, did his PhD at Columbia. Condoleezza Rice had been a Provost at Stanford, 'the Ivy of the West.' Robert Gates, who Obama has retained, went to the College of William and Mary, one of 'the Public Ivies.' And David Frum, went to Yale before he got his J.D. at Harvard."

I know what you meant, though: "LIBERAL academics didn't exactly have a seat at the table."

A politician with an elite education doesn't mean anything. But when Obama reversed the Bush-era stem cell policy, that was a pro-science pro-academia move.
    Wrong move in the federal funding.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Nature abhors a vacuum, and so does politics.

And since you're a libertarian, that doesn't do much to reign in the most powerful interests of them all.
    How about dividing up the power and giving it to the average joe instead of just giving it to academia?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Oberon

aj is suffering from the same kind of cognitive dissonance that the feminists have... just like women's achievement doesn't count for feminists unless it's the achievement of liberal women, academic influence in government doesn't count unless it's leftist academic influence.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Oberon and Pure M, are they still clinging to that 1984 raft of theirs?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Oberon and Pure M, are they still clinging to that 1984 raft of theirs?
    I'm not certain what you mean there.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

What I mean is, are your (our) opponents in this thread still dreaming, and wringing their hands for a world in which many decisions are taken out of the public's hands because a despotic leader, or intelligentsia have realized that they know what is better for the public than the public themselves.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    What I mean is, are your (our) opponents in this thread still dreaming, and wringing their hands for a world in which many decisions are taken out of the public's hands because a despotic leader, or intelligentsia have realized that they know what is better for the public than the public themselves.
    The urge to consolidate power in the hands of an enlightened monarch is as old as Plato, and I doubt it will ever go away. We're wired to look for a reassuring leader, the more so in uncertain times.

So, yeah.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The urge to consolidate power in the hands of an enlightened monarch is as old as Plato, and I doubt it will ever go away. We're wired to look for a reassuring leader, the more so in uncertain times.
    For good reason.

Though I'd feel more reassured if said reassuring leader was myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    For good reason.

Though I'd feel more reassured if said reassuring leader was myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole