User Tag List

First 152324252627 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Your reasoning is incredibly stupid. How many of the most ineffective, wasteful, or downright evil policies in America were called for by academics? Are you out of your mind?
    There's always been fringe academics, especially in earlier America. But with more mainstream center-left academic influence, there'd be less avocation of war, loosened drug laws, gay rights, consumer protection laws, economic policy by economists etc. It'd be nice.

Which organization or community should have more influence do you think, if things are to change? Tea Parties and libertarian think tanks?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    Would you give specific examples?
    Woodrow Wilson was the president of Princeton University, and he was one of the worst POTUS ever. Most of the macro-level economic lunacies of the past 75 years were at the behest of economists. Even one of my favorites, Milton Friedman, was part of the group that came up with income tax withholding, which turned out to be awful.

And to ajblaise, I do not hate academics. I am getting at least one postgraduate degree myself. What is stupid is your assertion that academia needs more power. How about ALL of those groups need LESS power? I wouldn't trust half of my profs in my lifetime with my car keys, let alone the economy or civil rights or foreign policy. Some of them are outright lunatics.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    There's always been fringe academics, especially in earlier America. But with more mainstream center-left academic influence, there'd be less avocation of war, loosened drug laws, gay rights, consumer protection laws, economic policy by economists etc. It'd be nice.

Which organization or community should have more influence do you think, if things are to change? Tea Parties and libertarian think tanks?
    Wow, you're clearly out of your cotton-pickin' mind.

Oberon

We don't need literacy tests. Academia just needs more political power, it's too little in comparison to corporate and special interest power. We'd have smarter public policy as a result.
    Oh, I don't know. Clinton was a Rhodes scholar, and his entire administration after the first midterm election was an exercise in working the Republican agenda. Gore and Obama both have strong academic backgrounds; Obama was a professor of constitutional law, Gore is a Harvard grad and has been a visiting professor at several universities, including Columbia. Various appointees also have had impressive academic resumes, including Condi Rice, who pulled a stint as Provost of Stanford University. Former Clinton Administration staffer Erskine Bowles is now President of the University of North Carolina system.

That's just more or less off the top of my (admittedly pointy) head, but it seems to be that the bonds between academia and government are pretty strong.

MBTI
    INTP

How about ALL of those groups need LESS power?
    Nature abhors a vacuum, and so does politics.

And since you're a libertarian, that doesn't do much to reign in the most powerful interests of them all.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Nature abhors a vacuum, and so does politics.
    Not really.

And since you're a libertarian, that doesn't do much to reign in the most powerful interests of them all.
    Sure it does. You want to restrain Big Business and Big Labor? Don't have spoils for them to fight over.

MBTI
    ESFJ

The neocons that brought us into both current wars were the goddamn anticommunist center-left intellectuals from 30-40 years ago and their followers. Yeah, MUCH less avocation of war there. . . And more econ from economists? You mean like Nobel Prize winner Paul Krugman, who doesn't understand the Broken Windows fallacy, one of the simplest and most crucial concepts in all of econ? Jesus Christ. . .

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Oh, I don't know. Clinton was a Rhodes scholar, and his entire administration after the first midterm election was an exercise in working the Republican agenda. Gore and Obama both have strong academic backgrounds; Obama was a professor of constitutional law, Gore is a Harvard grad and has been a visiting professor at several universities, including Columbia. Various appointees also have had impressive academic resumes, including Condi Rice, who pulled a stint as Provost of Stanford University. Former Clinton Administration staffer Erskine Bowles is now President of the University of North Carolina system.

That's just more or less off the top of my (admittedly pointy) head, but it seems to be that the bonds between academia and government are pretty strong.
    Bush went to Harvard and Yale, but it doesn't exactly mean academics had a seat at the table in his administration.

A politician with an elite education doesn't mean anything. But when Obama reversed the Bush-era stem cell policy, that was a pro-science pro-academia move.

MBTI
    INTP

Sure it does. You want to restrain Big Business and Big Labor? Don't have spoils for them to fight over.
    As long as the decisions made at the federal and state level have an effect on people, Big Business and American workers will have a dog in the fight.

Oberon

Bush went to Harvard and Yale, but it doesn't exactly mean academics had a seat at the table in his administration.
    Except for CONDOLEEZZA RICE, who was 1) the youngest, and 2) the first black, and 3) the first female Provost that Leland B. Stanford Jr. University ever had. If you'll go back and read my last post, you'll note that I mentioned her earlier.

And I'm not talking about Presidents with elite educations... I'm talking about people intimate with the inner workings of academia, people who have been university professors and administrators, actually moving in the corridors of government at the highest level... note specifically Al Gore and Barack Obama.