User Tag List

First 11192021222331 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    That helps, but it still doesn't account for the fact that the average person just isn't very bright. Despite the US being one of the most intelligent countries in the world, its median IQ is a measly 98, which is nowhere near smart enough to actually make an informed decision on important issues.
    Think about what you have just said. More than half of the people on this planet are not capable of making an informed decision? What the fuck kind of horribly unfortunate existence did you have to go through to come up with this absurd statement?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yes, it has been amended only 27 times. I would argue that's a woefully low number. Life is completely different than it was in the 18th century. The Constitution doesn't even touch important issues like intellectual property, pollution, and entitlements. And that's just a few I named off the top of my head. Because this process is so difficult, we have courts effectively making law. I don't know about you, but I would rather have elected officials making law over appointees.
    But the Constitution pretty much addresses what the federal government may or may not do. That is a pretty narrow set of parameters. Don't you think that common law should have a major part in determining the more functional, quotidian governmental processes?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

That helps, but it still doesn't account for the fact that the average person just isn't very bright. Despite the US being one of the most intelligent countries in the world, its median IQ is a measly 98, which is nowhere near smart enough to actually make an informed decision on important issues.
    Median IQ is 98? According to what? IQ and the Wealth of Nations? That is not a particularly solid source to cite.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Think about what you have just said. More than half of the people on this planet are not capable of making an informed decision?
    Not on issues that require extensive knowledge of economics, history and sociology, such as, oh, I dunno... political policy.

EDIT: actually scratch that. I know enough people with IQs below 100 to confidently state that I wouldn't trust them to make a proper decision on just about anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

A median IQ of 98 doesn't say anything in itself except that the U.S. would be slightly below the average world-wide, but the test is problematic beyond simply that and also would not specifically measure the ability to make sociological and political decisions (a tangent discussion). It is worth noting that even the most intelligent person can be altered by propaganda. It is important to educate people, but also important to protect the freedom in the flow of information, so that it isn't controlled by a government or corporate giant, or any single power structure. That is one of the bedrocks of political freedom and progress.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    A median IQ of 98 doesn't say anything in itself except that the U.S. would be slightly below the average world-wide, but the test is problematic beyond simply that and also would not specifically measure the ability to make sociological and political decisions (a tangent discussion). It is worth noting that even the most intelligent person can be altered by propaganda
    This is true, which is why I support restricting the franchise (if it is to be allowed at all) even further than simply a minimum IQ requirement. I think for people to be allowed to vote they need to be intelligent, mature, educated, and have a real stake on the long-term health of the country.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Annwn View Post
    A median IQ of 98 doesn't say anything in itself except that the U.S. would be slightly below the average world-wide, but the test is problematic beyond simply that and also would not specifically measure the ability to make sociological and political decisions (a tangent discussion). It is worth noting that even the most intelligent person can be altered by propaganda
    This is true, which is why I support restricting the franchise (if it is to be allowed at all) even further than simply a minimum IQ requirement. I think for people to be allowed to vote they need to be intelligent, mature, educated, and have a real stake on the long-term health of the country.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INTP

Not on issues that require extensive knowledge of economics, history and sociology, such as, oh, I dunno... political policy.
    Having an extensive knowledge of anything has very little to do with IQ. Even if it did, the repercussions of removing such a massive constituency from civic policy would be disastrous, not to mention completely contemptible by anyone with a trivial grasp of morality.

So, since everyone appears to abhor what they deem as a restriction of the Constitutional right to vote, is everyone averse to ensuring that political candidate applicants pass or fail a more extensive testing process?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    So, since everyone appears to abhor what they deem as a restriction of the Constitutional right to vote, is everyone averse to ensuring that political candidate applicants pass or fail a more extensive testing process?
    The test is through action. If we elect a candidate and his or her actions are not sufficient to our needs, we simply replace them with somebody else. This is exactly how the selection process for representatives should work.