User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

What does a minimum knowledge test have to do with intellectual snobbery? It's not as if any of the issues are terribly complex.

To add to this, I'd like candidates to take a more intensive minimum knowledge test. No applicant should be considered without a strong economics understanding.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

To deny them their vote is to deny them their liberty sir.

In the words of Henry Ward Beecher:
    "Liberty is the soul's right to breathe, and when it cannot take a long breath laws are girded too tight. Without liberty, man is a syncope."

Exactly my point. Fallacies of emotional appeal and appeal to authority.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Your plan is despotic.

And I would consider it a crime against humanity.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

By taking away their right to vote the only thing you are doing is filling the void with your own authoritarian voice.

And tyranny is a far worse thing than a partially poorly informed voting public.

Clearly asssumptive. If the vast majority of the population can pass a driver's ed exam for the safety of other drivers, they can also pass a minimum knowledge test for the safety of their country.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Who are you to determine who is smart enough to vote.

The only possible caveat to this I can think of is clear developmental disorders, and profound retardation.

Oberon

I don't think intelligence or education should be primary determinants in who gets to vote and who doesn't. The opportunities for abuse would be huge.

DB, you're making no rational sense at all. Nowhere have I stated that I would personally be creating the minimum knowledge tests for both the public and applicants. That's up to the brain trust to develop.

As well, the test is voluntary and if individuals aren't interested in taking it, they're not forced to until they want to do so. But if, as you said, the education system is improved and society adapts to this rite of adult passage, there will be more knowledgeable candidates and voting population.

One key point is globalisation. No longer is it good enough to draft policy that solely surrounds the country itself. Any type of policy must incorporate the impacts of globalisation. As a current example, the most recent attempt at quantitative easing.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I know right? Property rights are not innate or God given, in fact some societies didn't believe in that concept at all, many Native Americans believed that land could not be owned.
    They believed in personal property, though. And their tribes had lands they possessed and would fight other encroaching tribes to the death (understandable, since not having possession of land with ample food and drink meant their own deaths). Perhaps you should read up on geolibertarianism. I find some of the arguments intriguing, since land is different than other goods or forms of property. And a land value tax would certainly be better than an income tax (pretty much the worst kind there is).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"