User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Another case in point. Mike V is infamous for kicking people's asses like this. I almost feel sorry for the guy in this vid though. He's got a point. He just overreacts and blames these guys for all of his problems though. And yet I understand Mike too. I don't like people who instantly need to start disrespecting you. That's just asking for some people to do something worse (not really kids, but older skaters).

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXhKr4BOFQo].[/youtube]
    Yeah, I disapprove of the behavior of all individuals involved. Both parties felt like they had something to prove, and it seemed to have little to do with the actual issue at hand - the property.

Old man wasn't so smart to start stomping around, making insults and walking up on those guys. Ideally handled, the guy should have had the cops present to discuss the matter (though the cops would probably have better things to do than harass skate boarders who hadn't actually been caught doing anything illegal in the first place).

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I wondered if something like that would happen eventually, when I was growing up, like between 13 and 16, I used to be a sort of authoritarian person and would have picked fights with people doing malicious and anti-social things, like plaguing older people in the neighbourhood or breaking into garages and most of the time if it got into confrontation it would escalate until the same anti-social elements where able to eventually find some bigger, meaner "champion" to take me on.

That second video is a bit strange though, did he just drive into the parking lot and decide to take on those guys because they where skating? And fit the description of his neighbourhood villains?

The video is cut all sorts of ways and there's no telling what's left out and in but it appears like that mean dude was just waiting for the shop keeper to try and go hands on and his buddies knew it, perhaps even shoppy knew it too, it looked like a bit of a wrestling match and no one was duking it out but who's to know there wasnt something off camera.

What I would say is these a clips from America, it looks like a pretty angry ass place, as I said before its not even the ghetto or some place where you'd expect to meet some pretty dysfunctional anger issues and shit. What's to stop that guy going off and getting a gun and wasting some people? That's the real risk, not that the police will be involved, in the other flick they looked pretty wary about it to be honest, the cops I mean.

There's a lot going on in that confrontation, that's just at a guess, its not so much about what appears to be the immediate issue, its probably not even simply about how all the parties involved deal with or self-regulate their emotions or anger.

The guy to me just seems like he's been dealing with vandalism already and decided to take the opportunity to get his frustrations out once he saw those skaters.

I can't tell you the specifics of that situation, but I will point out that those are pro skaters. They're not there to screw anything up necessarily. Skateboarding is just a sport like any other - except the playing field is the landscape. So many dynamics.. and skaters seek out places that offer a way to do something new. Point being though, guys like him are hopping around everywhere - it's not like he was just some kid who's been smashing the crap out of that parking lot consistently. He's actually 40 years old too.. with wife and kids, etc.. He's not out to be immature or anything. That guy just stepped in like they were already guilty of something.

As for America being violent. I don't believe it's some exclusive thing. I mean, I could use this video as evidence. Here we have a vid of the craziest clergyman I've ever seen.. and it's in Australia. All the kids are pretty feisty too.

On a sidenote, I'm sure this will disappoint Victor.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMWjV2zRD3w].[/youtube]

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    you americans and your vigilante ideals.

Americans and their vigilante ideals. Australians are so above that. :rolli:

MBTI
    ISTx

Holy shit...

MBTI
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    Americans and their vigilante ideals. Australians are so above that. :rolli:
    who said? we're a penal colony after all, mask.

I'm going to take my sympathy away for property concerns. It just seems like more and more the problem is just people on a power trip. These might be the biggest jerks of all. I thought I had it bad in the past. Some of these owners/cops are downright insane. The kids are alright.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hxOr3q7nrk&feature=related]/[/youtube]
    [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZO3MkvteXE]/[/youtube]

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I've seen those cops versus skater ones before, to be honest I kind of think if people have to go looking for trouble with a bunch of children, seriously that's what they are in one of those videos, then they are really not under pressure to fight crime. The clergy man one is new to me.

I always take these with a pinch of salt though because I know that in my own line of work there where incidents of staff being videoed or voice recorded or at least it was implied, often those staff hadnt had sleep, often it was a repeat pattern of real risky, reckless behaviour pretty vulnerable kids where up to too and then they'd engage in direct pushing and shoving matches with the very adults charged with caring for them. If they so much as raised their voice you can bet that it could be cut to appear as though they where behaving in an agressive and out of order fashion.

Its a difficult one to call because like, even with the earlier vids, there's a real and an honest issue at stake, people could handle it better but you need context, plenty of it, to make judgements. To be honest it also, for me, beggars a lot of questions about authority and respect for people too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Wow. That's all I have to say.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbBIsMBugWo

Can you believe this? So who do you sympathize with in this situation, the skater or the raging shop owner?

I sympathize with both of them. I can understand why the shopowner would be angry, but his reaction is not what a sane person does. What he should have done is made the kid pay for the bush, and then said calmly but firmly that if he caught him again he would be pressing charges. People should get a chance to make things right, he didn't even give the kid a chance.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window