User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ----

yeah, the 'method' was assault and battery - that generally doesn't teach people very good lessons and general social decay is not the punk kid's fault.

marm, you're a bit sexy when you're tough. grrrrowl.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

*meow*

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think that some of the people defending the shop owner are using this isolated incident to represent a broader anger at aspects of the younger generation that it doesn't accurately portray. This isn't the right incident and this guy is not the guy you want to carry the flag for people aggrieved by punk kids.

If the guy had just yelled, "Hey kid, get the hell off my bush!" and called the police, there is no problem. But he bullied the kid, physically pushed him, screamed at him, restrained him, and intimated that his parents are idiots. He surrendered the moral authority in this situation, and that kid is going to feel justified in repeating his behavior. He's a bully, and bullies deserve a smackdown.
    Oh, I agree with that. And I really only was able to get through 1 minute and 42 seconds of that vid, because I couldn't take the screaming. The guy very much overreacted. I am not defending his specific actions. What marm and I are talking about is kind of a spin-off of this scenario--it touches a nerve because, while this guy is clearly wrong, so is the kid, and so are many like this kid. It's apparent in the way he first answered the question about the bush. He admits he knocked it over with his skateboard (repeatedly) but he "always puts it back," so everything should be okay. He doesn't get that what he's doing is wrong in any way. It's the idea that the world should just adjust to whatever you want to do, and be chill about it.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

the point is to laugh at both of their expense and their behavior.

MBTI
    INFP

During the brief moments where the shop owner wasn't yelling, the kid should have asked him "so... seen any good movies lately?" That would have been awesome.
    ik sprokkel wat dagen, drop baggage,
    soms heb ik geen zin om die koffers te dragen,
    ik laat los, los het op, word onzichtbaar
    en geef de buitenlucht wat ruimte terug
    dus.. nu zit ik op m'n fiets alsof het niets is,
    maar niets kan toch niet uit zichzelf pedalen laten draaien?

~ Typhoon

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    marm, you're a bit sexy when you're tough. grrrrowl.
    Oh God, you're encouraging her. Cardinal sin.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

The shop owner is a freaking jerk. Not only verbally, but gets even physically offensive. Sure he can be annoyed for people behaving like they want on the expense of other people all the freaking time, but that behavior is in no way adequate and clearly his anger was saved up from other occurences with other people which he now all lets off on this single guy.

They're both out of line. The older man needs some serious anger management sessions and the skater needs to learn respect for other people's property.

But what was the most disturbing was that the older man clearly enjoyed using intimidation tactics which was why he kept ranting. It was like he got off on doing it. Revolting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

All I could think of was that if I had been the kid, even knowing I was wrong, I would have lost control and smacked that guy upside the head a serious whack with my skateboard and then it would have been something for the police to settle all right. I side with the bush owner -- those bushes are expensive -- but he was pushing it right up to the edge of the line with his behavior and if the kid had gone off or if something violent had happened, I would be taking points off the bush owner for being so aggressive and more importantly so all up in his face. He was way too close.

Epiphany

let's look at it from a proportionality perspective.

punk kid shoves a bush.
    adult shoves a kid against a wall, intimidates him and screams insults and profanity in his face.

i am amazed that people are defending the shopowner. he's a knuckle dragging bully. you think treating someone like that is going to reform their anti-social behaviours?
    Agreed.

lol. you americans and your vigilante ideals.
    I don't think this man is reflective of Americans or vigilante ideals, which mostly pertain to the threat/use of violence in committing felonies.