User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    GONE

From some of the feedback I thought this would be a lot worse. People flip out all the time over stuff, could this business owner have gone about it differently? Sure, but he doesn't have to go out of his way to be polite and civil when he has a genuine reason to be angry. This sounds like it's been happening for a while and can you imagine his growing anger, feeling like a fool that there are some punk kids tearing up his ish ALL THE TIME and he will probably have to continue shelling out $50 to replace those shrubs ad infinitum knowing the shrubs will just be torn up again? I'd be pissed too. A small business owner generally depends on their business for their livelihood and it becomes really their life/style because they are working so much. Mess with people's money or property this is usually what happens - they flip. I can't identify with the person who got caught.

Now, if someone had ACCIDENTALLY done something on the property, then I'd be more sympathetic.

I think people in the states watch too much JackAss 3D.

RESPEKT MAH AUTHORITAH!!!!

(AND STAY THE SF*#(#@)$*U#@ OFF MY LAWN!!!)
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

All ENFPs have a secret ISTJ waiting inside just dying to scream, "You damn kids better stay the fuck off of my lawn."

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Brain View Post
    So who do you sympathize with in this situation, the skater or the raging shop owner?
    Neither. Shop owner is a power-tripping (possibly high on something) douche. Skater is a bratty, punk. So I guess in the scenario the only person I feel sorry for is the cop having to take the report.

MBTI
    INTP

The guy overreacted, for sure, but I definitely understand the sentiment. I used to be furious when I was regularly having the neighbors' 15 kids playing in my yard, loitering, throwing balls and stuff around my cars, etc., and not respecting my wishes when I asked them to stay off my property. If it had happened one more time, I would have called the police on them. But i wouldn't have lost it like this guy did. He should have just had his wife call the cops while he went out to talk to the guy.

I have to say that I'm seeing more and more instances of the younger generations not taking responsibility for their actions. If they do something that inconveniences someone, they think a half-hearted "sorry" should be enough to fix it. I see this in my classes, as well. It's kind of a low-grade narcissism rooted in apathy.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    It's kind of a low-grade narcissism rooted in apathy.
    3 words for you - Jack Ass 3D. I think it was the no 1 movie in America for a while.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

I understand that the kid did something wrong here. But if that roid-raging gorilla had found me instead of that kid, he'd have gotten a face full of skateboard. And he'd have deserved it. Richly.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Ohhhhhhhh.... it's Jersey. That makes sense.

MBTI
    ----

let's look at it from a proportionality perspective.

punk kid shoves a bush.
    adult shoves a kid against a wall, intimidates him and screams insults and profanity in his face.

i am amazed that people are defending the shopowner. he's a knuckle dragging bully. you think treating someone like that is going to reform their anti-social behaviours? lol. you americans and your vigilante ideals.

where's dog?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    let's look at it from a proportionality perspective.

punk kid shoves a bush.
    adult shoves a kid against a wall, intimidates him and screams insults and profanity in his face.

i am amazed that people are defending the shopowner. he's a knuckle dragging bully. you think treating someone like that is going to reform their anti-social behaviours? lol. you americans and your vigilante ideals.

where's dog?

I wholeheartedly agree that the shop owner overreacted, probably has an anger problem, and that the method was not entirely effective.

On the other hand, that "kid" said that he's twenty years old, and I also agree with Tallulah that we have a problem with epic entitlement and narcissism among our very young here, and it seems to be getting progressively worse, even since I was a teenager.

I think that some of the people defending the shop owner are using this isolated incident to represent a broader anger at aspects of the younger generation that it doesn't accurately portray. This isn't the right incident and this guy is not the guy you want to carry the flag for people aggrieved by punk kids.

If the guy had just yelled, "Hey kid, get the hell off my bush!" and called the police, there is no problem. But he bullied the kid, physically pushed him, screamed at him, restrained him, and intimated that his parents are idiots. He surrendered the moral authority in this situation, and that kid is going to feel justified in repeating his behavior. He's a bully, and bullies deserve a smackdown.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari