User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I find it interesting that your sympathies aligned with the victimizer.
    I'm honored by your interest.

You could say that I feel rehabilitation is preferable to incarceration with minimal opportunity for reformation, yes. Malicious forethought precisely the issue.

We can clearly say that this man is operating outside the boundaries of acceptable behavior. One might even say that he is a bad person. I would, however, strongly assert that this punishment is horribly disproportionate to the crime committed. One might even look back to Leviticus and find preference for an "eye for an eye" than 18 months for inappropriate conversation aimed to make another party uncomfortable. If I was the judge, I would simply insult his mother and be done with the case.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    One might even look back to Leviticus and find preference for an "eye for an eye" than 18 months for inappropriate conversation aimed to make another party uncomfortable.
    Again, you're downplaying the trauma he caused, and the trauma he SET OUT to cause. This isn't a kid using the f-word to shock the adults. He's a predator.

If I was the judge, I would simply insult his mother and be done with the case.
    Since you trotted out the Bible, show me where that's prescribed in Leviticus.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    ... One might even look back to Leviticus and find preference for an "eye for an eye" than 18 months for inappropriate conversation aimed to make another party uncomfortable. If I was the judge, I would simply insult his mother and be done with the case.
    No, damn it, 18 weeks. Where the hell did you get 18 months from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    No, damn it, 18 weeks. Where the hell did you get 18 months from?
    Clearly a Monday. 18 minutes may have been acceptable, but no more than 18 hours.

It reminds me a bit of this dramarama, but obviously there is a personal connection in this case:

[YOUTUBE="E5Mw0lHsu0M"]Neighbors mock dying seven year old[/YOUTUBE]

Dying Girl Kathleen Edward Cyberbullied by 33-Year-Old Neighbor: Why?

Neighbor After Apologizing: I Don't Give A F Who's Dying

Woman Who Taunted Dying Child is Arrested

The internet giveth and it taketh away.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That woman looks psychotic.

I find it interesting.

"Cyberbullying gives people the opportunity to be more aggressive than they would allow themselves to be in person," Dr. Samuelle Klein-Von Reiche, a clinical psychologist in private practice in Manhattan, tells CBS News. "There is a weaker sense of personal responsibility. You don't have to confront someone directly."

The origins of the dispute are unclear, but that seems less important than the question of why, and how, a person could be so cruel?

Dr. Klein-Von Reiche, who can't comment on this specific case, says there are several possible explanations for why an adult would bully a child.

"People who believe that cruelty is an acceptable means to channel interpersonal conflict, often suffer from severe narcissism with an antisocial element," she says.

In addition, she adds, we live in a media culture where over-the-top drama, including vicious fighting on reality TV, is pervasive. "For someone who already has questionable judgment," she says, "that only reinforces the idea that extreme mental cruelty is acceptable."
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Do people have the right to be assholes and behave in an anti-social manner?

No, I honestly dont believe so, I also believe that sometimes anything other than an intervention is going to provide sufficient sanction for certain behaviours, now I dont believe that anyone should be able to intervene in that way, there should be due process and a monopoly on force. Law is preferable to the primitive state of anarchy which preceeds it.

Does prison really rehabilite or change offenders and is that the only reason for having prisons?

No. They can also protect offenders from retaliation. Liberal societies are not fans of summary justice or revenge so the state is invested with being the only agency which can act in this capacity legitimately. Similarly the administration of justice is also about providing satisfaction to the injured parties, less and less of it these days but still.

What is the difference between internet trolls and online bullies and the state?

In a single word accountability. The liberal state has been challenged to death and tries to perform to unrealistic personal standards and expectations while more often than not finding that it is prevented from doing so by its very own checks and balances.

Contrast that with an internet troll who is accountable to no one and actually can rely upon others, frequently strangers with poor or no knowledge of them, coming to their defence in the face of any sanction on their behaviour due to cultural impulses to challenge any perceived exercise of authority as rank authoritarianism and bullying.

I'm sure you could power the national grid of the northern hemisphere with Orwell's spinning in his grave every time 1984 or buzz words from the novel are invoked to defend every sort of wrong doing, provided its not the state/big brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    I find it interesting.
    The psychological analysis of the online behaviour and who is capable of it and how the internet could be reinforcing or developing particular sorts of narcassistic disorder is a major interest of mine.

To provide a bit of context on this one, there has been some investigation and evidence in the UK of individuals deliberately seeking to provoke vulnerable people into suicide via the web, now that is seriously pushing the boundaries of free speech to me. I dont know if the individuals involved are some sort of Hannibal Lector style villains or just, as I've found with the trolls that I've encountered, chronically locked into minimising or dismissing the impact of their behaviour, insisting everyone else should have a sense of humour.

Thumbs up X-Ray

Being online is a bit like being in therapy - for our slip is showing and our unconscious is revealed.

This is fine for an unconscious that has been nourished and experiences happiness and joy, but too many have been damaged and are damaging.

And so our moderators do damage control.

Moralising about those who are damaged and damaging does no good. And acting out our damage online does no good.

I don't know what does any good except that being online is an X-ray of our psyche.