123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Default MSNBC suspends Keith Olbermann for donating to Democrats,

MSNBC's Olbermann Suspended for Political Donations

I was shocked. My first thought was that apparently MSNBC had been employing this guy for years without anyone bothering to check and see, like, who he was. How could this come as a surprise at anyone that ran that network?

And for what reason? Journalistic ethics? Hasn't Olbermann essentially become an op-ed guy? Do the same rules apply to him? Could you imagine Fox News suspending Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reily, or Sean Hannity for donating to the Republicans?

MSNBC, you have neither a sense of direction nor any balls, like NPR.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Interesting point made here:

Olbermann suspended: Stupid donation, even stupidier policy

In fact, MSNBC agreed with this point back in 2007, when it was discovered that host Joe Scarborough had given a political donation to Republican candidate Derrick Kitts. Back then, the network not only kept Scarborough on air, but defended his donation
    So they kept that in mind for a guy who is not nearly as blatantly opinionated as Olbermann? Such inconsistency. As is so often the case in these situation, people at the network were probably already hoping to get rid of him for some reason.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

It's a total CYA move. People already perceive MSNBC as biased (and it largely is, like almost every media outlet), so they are probably wary of confirming it passively by keeping a big Democratic donor around. This is in contrast to FNC, which knows it's biased and pretty much doesn't care, "fair and balanced" posing aside.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Oh, it's because Olbermann and MSNBC didn't do it right. See, you don't let your obviously partisan pundit donate to one particular party, you let your entire, supposedly unbiased, news organization donate to one party. That way, no particular person is at fault or biased toward one group! Except, of course, your corporation, which is considered a person.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Oh, it's because Olbermann and MSNBC didn't do it right. See, you don't let your obviously partisan pundit donate to one particular party, you let your entire, supposedly unbiased, news organization donate to one party. That way, no particular person is at fault or biased toward one group! Except, of course, your corporation, which is considered a person.
    This is a bit disingenuous. People like O'Reilly from FNC freely admit they are "op-ed" journalists. They know their channel has a certain bias. "Fair and balanced" basically means "Hey, we're fair in what we do" and "We're balanced, because almost all of the MSM skews center-left." I think THAT is disingenuous, as well, but your argument that News Corp. and FNC are "supposedly unbiased" isn't really supported by the agents of the organization.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This is a bit disingenuous. People like O'Reilly from FNC freely admit they are "op-ed" journalists. They know their channel has a certain bias. "Fair and balanced" basically means "Hey, we're fair in what we do" and "We're balanced, because almost all of the MSM skews center-left." I think THAT is disingenuous, as well, but your argument that News Corp. and FNC are "supposedly unbiased" isn't really supported by the agents of the organization.
    I'm fairly confident Olbermann makes no secret he is also, ostensibly, op-ed. And their slogan is not "Fair, you know, in what we do, and balanced, with the caveat that we balance out other stations, not that we are independently balanced." I've seen Fox News say their "regular news" programs are supposed to be fair, even if many of their "opinion shows" are biased. The line between the two is not well drawn, and admittedly one could say the same about MSNBC. But Fox has this odd tendencie to report, even in their supposedly straight news programs, falsehoods. Attendance numbers for Glenn Beck's rally (which included willfully showing clips of other, more populated rallies), that bullshit about Obama's trip to India (they had to retract) which they literally claim to have lifted off the Drudge Report, an openly-biased source, who sourced it themselves to one dude in India. That is not streching the facts, that's just shit journalism and downright duplicity.

Regardless of that, look at this Guardian article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ting-democrats

Especially this:

The Fox News commentator Sean Hannity, according to the Salon website, gave $5,000 to a political committee that supported Michele Bachmann, a Republican congresswoman and Tea Party favourite. But Fox, unlike MSNBC, sees no conflict of interest.
    This, of course, in addition to News Corps' own donations.

Why the difference in standards?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'm fairly confident Olbermann makes no secret he is also, ostensibly, op-ed. And their slogan is not "Fair, you know, in what we do, and balanced, with the caveat that we balance out other stations, not that we are independently balanced." I've seen Fox News say their "regular news" programs are supposed to be fair, even if many of their "opinion shows" are biased. The line between the two is not well drawn, and admittedly one could say the same about MSNBC. But Fox has this odd tendencie to report, even in their supposedly straight news programs, falsehoods. Attendance numbers for Glenn Beck's rally (which included willfully showing clips of other, more populated rallies), that bullshit about Obama's trip to India (they had to retract) which they literally claim to have lifted off the Drudge Report, an openly-biased source, who sourced it themselves to one dude in India. That is not streching the facts, that's just shit journalism and downright duplicity.
    No doubt about it with Olbermann. I think that MSNBC tries to project a more objective image (which hurts them, IMHO, because they clearly are not that objective). FNC is a biased news source. It's pretty self-evident. What did they announce for Glenn Beck rally numbers? I don't watch FNC much (those hour-long op-ed guy shows are tough to make it through), but I do enjoy Fox Business Network.

Regardless of that, look at this Guardian article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...ting-democrats

Especially this:

This, of course, in addition to News Corps' own donations.

Why the difference in standards?
    Because FNC doesn't really care that people know they have a center-right slant. MSNBC clearly cares more about their image in this regard. I am not saying that's better or worse.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It was Hannity that used footage of another, larger rally as purported footage of the Glenn Beck rally, and I geuss he's also fair op-ed, but that's still no good. Here's some stuff on the bogus estimates and footage: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...in;contentBody http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_353447.html

To Hannity's credit, he admitted to it and apologized.

I don't really watch Fox news or MSNBC myself, so really I guess this story doesn't particularly affect me.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, it does affect me, soooo...I miss Keith! :steam:
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well, it does affect me, soooo...I miss Keith!
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~