User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Three different systems of the government balance each other out.

The problem is that some corrupt people with a few bucks to spare came along and with financial power made them able to play politicians in D.C. like a fiddle, or they just became people of governmental power themselves.

And I believe it would benefit everyone if people didn't act like we're in the modern day Crucible, where people attack another party based off of invalid beliefs and get absolutely NOTHING done from it.

MBTI
    INTP

Speaking as a Republican, please go thinking that the problem was that Obama and the Democrats haven't been playing up their accomplishments enough...I would love for Obama to become a one-term President.

The problem ya'll face is twofold:

1.) Democratic accomplishments have not produced manifest results (such as lower unemployment and reduced health care costs), which were explicitly promised when the new policies were enacted. The best the Democrats can do with that is to offer a counter-factual argument, which is about as effective as the Republicans offering a counter-factual argument on Iraq.

2.) The following article explains the second problem: http://www.tnr.com/blog/william-gals...term-elections

put succinctly, this is a center-right country, and the Democrats misread their 2008 mandate.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 11-04-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: spelling

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Speaking as a Republican, please go thinking that the problem was that Obama and the Democrats haven't been playing up their accomplishments enough...I would love for Obama to become a one-term President.
    I don't believe Republicans will do any better. I don't know if I'll ever get over their passing of Medicare Part D. I'd like to give a Rand Paul head-stomping to all of the Republicans that voted for that piece of legislation. They always talk about reforming entitlement programs like Social Security, but they never actually do it. I don't think they ever will. Instead, they sell us out. They cannot be trusted.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Good link. Well, it would take a miracle to clean up George W. Bush's mess, so it's not going to happen overnight.

I really don't understand how some of these morons think we're going to correct the national deficit and finance a war without paying taxes, either.
    Laffer Curve

I think there is some truth to it, but in this situation setting the optimal tax rate won't be enough. We'll have to cut a significant amount of spending.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Meh..It doesn't matter who you vote for.. The government still wins..

That's what people might be finding out.??
    I have to say, government is not inherently bad. In fact, in terms of human social evolution, it is undoubtedly a good thing.

A government CAN have a bad character. If a democracy with a free press (unfortunately, campaign financing isn't as transparent as it used to be even a year ago) can't or won't find the good from the bad, it is at least partly their own fault. Rebelling against the entire idea of government isn't gonna solve a thing.

People in America are allergic to accepting blame in general, however, and tend to feel an unwarranted sense of entitlement (in some cases, that sense of entitlement is quite impossible to fulfill).
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't believe Republicans will do any better. I don't know if I'll ever get over their passing of Medicare Part D. I'd like to give a Rand Paul head-stomping to all of the Republicans that voted for that piece of legislation. They always talk about reforming entitlement programs like Social Security, but they never actually do it. I don't think they ever will. Instead, they sell us out. They cannot be trusted.
    To me, the idea of trusting somebody I don't know at least casually (and over a significant course of time) is silly. There ought to be a huge level of distrust towards distant masters touting dubious propositions and on a path that requires them to please the largest possible segment of a highly diverse population. Why would I trust any member of a political party who's influence is centered thousands of miles away more than a member of an opposing political party that also regularly engages in financial transactions or provides some service dependent on trust one mile away?

What I'm trying to say is I trust my neighbors, friends, acquaintances, etc. far more than anyone I am not involved with on some level at all, regardless of what beliefs these individuals hold.

First and foremost democratic government is about representation, it could just be a matter of choosing a dynasty or monarch for a term but that's something and in that respect Obama has done exactly what he could be expected to do.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    To me, the idea of trusting somebody I don't know at least casually (and over a significant course of time) is silly. There ought to be a huge level of distrust towards distant masters touting dubious propositions and on a path that requires them to please the largest possible segment of a highly diverse population. Why would I trust any member of a political party who's influence is centered thousands of miles away more than a member of an opposing political party that also regularly engages in financial transactions or provides some service dependent on trust one mile away?

What I'm trying to say is I trust my neighbors, friends, acquaintances, etc. far more than anyone I am not involved with on some level at all, regardless of what beliefs these individuals hold.
    I was using the word "trust" figuratively, not literally. I don't see myself voting Republican again any time soon, and I don't care how many times they tell me they're sorry or they'll get it right next time. Anyone who believes the Republicans are turning over a new leaf is incredibly naive.

Until we change the way campaigns are funded, we're stuck with garbage.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Laffer Curve

I think there is some truth to it, but in this situation setting the optimal tax rate won't be enough. We'll have to cut a significant amount of spending.
    Laffer curve? We are struggling to get the income tax for the top bracket (just the top bracket) up to 39%. I doubt we are getting close to the point where taxation costs more in reduced private activity than it provides in revenue.

How many people realize that our income tax on the top bracket was between 81% and 92% for like 20 years? Do people realize that as of Reagan's administration, we've had the lost taxes since before the great depression? Like I've said many times before, Americans have lost all wisdom about taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Until we change the way campaigns are funded, we're stuck with garbage.
    Indeed. I'd dare say campaign and electoral reform are a higher priority than addressing the economy. It's sort of the problem beneath the other problems.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

If less than 80% of those things weren't awful, that website might be doing Obama some good.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"