User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post

Here's the good:

Republicans actually have some accountability again.
    Consider how well that reasoning worked for the Republicans after 2006...

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Pretty much this. They committed the same basic mistake the Republicans did when they controlled the White House and Congress.
    Agreed, the Republicans hadn't learned from their 1994 experience to tell the difference between an opportunity and a mandate. They are by and large making making the right rhetorical gestures this time, but we'll see if they've learned the lessons of the past (not to mention the polls) this time around...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Consider how well that reasoning worked for the Republicans after 2006...
    Bush shit the bed in a historically intense way. Economic crash, two unpopular wars he started, human rights violation questions, memories of Katrina... a litany of offenses.

But Clinton held on in 1996 after a thrashing in '94. More pertinent, Repubs took the House with over 50 wins in '46, and lost hugely in 1948.

What will happen, though, is way too early to call.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    FREE

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE

With this last election Americans made it clear what they wanted... a stalled, impotent government.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The strategic mistake the Dems made is that they kept too many promises when people didn't really want them to keep their promises. The Dems had this plan in 2008 of what they were going to do when they got in power, but people wanted them to ditch the plan and focus on the economic crisis. However the Dems kept to their plan and got a fair amount accomplished which pissed people off.

A lot of it has to do with appearances rather than results. When people are worried about an economic crisis what they really want from leadership is compassion and hope. Obama was all hope in 2008 which is what people really wanted from him especially in a time of crisis. But after he got in office and the stimulus was passed he started focusing on health care and other practical things and all the hope talk disappeared. So the health care bill made people feel like he didn't care about their economic problems, because he was focused on health care instead. And all the hope talk disappeared. So Obama didn't give people the leadership they wanted. It actually wouldn't have mattered if Obama didn't get better economic results than he got now. What would have mattered is if people thought Obama cared about their situation.

Look at FDR. The Great Depression didn't get any better for a long time, but he grew more popular during his first term. That's because he was so focused on the depression that people appreciated him even if he didn't get immediate results. Later FDR got more ambitious about legislation he wanted passed and that caused his popularity to wane.

So the Democrats have to ask themselves this question, "was it worth it"? I think it probably was overall. The health care legislation made them less popular, but the power they lost may have been worth it to the American people. Only time will tell if this health care legislation will have good lasting results or not. In hindsight it may be regarded like Social Security or Medicare. Or it may be regarded as a terrible move that ruined the Obama administration. Right now it's too early to tell.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    With this last election Americans made it clear what they wanted... a stalled, impotent government.
    Amen, brother.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Bush shit the bed in a historically intense way. Economic crash, two unpopular wars he started, human rights violation questions, memories of Katrina... a litany of offenses.
    The wars were essentially a dead issue among swing voters by the time of the 2008 election (the surge worked, and the war in Afghanistan had popular support for obvious reasons), as were any human rights violations questions (which were never much of a factor)-all it did was motivate the Democratic base. As for the economic crash, the voters punished the party of the President, not the party that controlled the House for two years...sound familiar?

You're right that its too early to guess how things will turn out, though; if we've learned nothing else, its that a lot can happen in two years.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Not enough public relations, I agree with aj. Where were all the tweets and emails? He lost the younger vote, I think for that reason, which could have made a difference.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    You're right that its too early to guess how things will turn out, though; if we've learned nothing else, its that a lot can happen in two years.
    One concept that we should see decisively killed is that of a "permanent majority" of either party ruling the country, which breeds the kind of complacency and arrogance that inevitably causes a severe backlash. The Republicans have already had to face this, now it's the Democrats' turn. Whether or not the lesson will be learned, I doubt it. Humans will be humans. As Psalm 146:3 cautions - "Do not place faith in earthly princes, who cannot bring salvation."

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Not enough public relations, I agree with aj. Where were all the tweets and emails? He lost the younger vote, I think for that reason, which could have made a difference.
    Yeah - my first instinct is that the strategic failure of the Democrats was a lack of any sort of strategy. I can't really figure it out. Whenever someone on the right made an accusation - where was the response? I'm not sure if they didn't want to "sink to their level", or what.

Politics = growing more bizarre every day.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!