User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Sniffles

I'm not aware of Walt Disney being pro-Nazi Lark; I know many Disney cartoons were banned in Nazi Germany due to one cartoon showing Mickey Mouse fighting villanous cats wearing WW1 spiked helmets. Although Luftwaffe ace Adolf Galland I guess managed to get around that, since he had Mickey spray-painted on his plane throughout the war.

Disney even made this anti-Nazi cartoon:
    [youtube="FQqCeEG5hs0"]How Nazis are made[/youtube]

And then this one, on a more humourous note:
    [youtube="iumEGAUceDg"]Donald Duck loyal Nutzi[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    We had some libertarians in our national election. I tend to read up on all the parties before I vote, so went through their policies. I thought about half of their policies would be quite good for society. I like things a bit more relaxed and less regimented, and I believe in letting people be free to explore and not fit the norm. Then I read they wanted to effectively disband government. Any ideal taken to the extreme becomes crazy.
    I'm always VERY interested when I hear that kind of thing associated with libertarianism, I dont consider libertarians to actually favour a less regimented or more relaxed society their means is a little different to other sorts of conservative but the end is pretty much the same.

A libertarian is going to wield the market like an axe instead of propose state action like another sort of conservative but they want the same things usually, that people will suffer for their poor judgement, parentage/accident of birth etc. The very most positive spin that you could possibly put on this is the some what hopeful and optimistic belief that the suffering will be short lived because it will truly kill or cure but that's it.

I've met honest libertarians who will say that they are culturally authoritarian but dont like government or think its a clumbsy instrument but in the main there's a hell of a lot of cognitive dissonance going on or denial, people prefer to focus on how great freedom is, how much no one is going to judge anyone else, no one is going to compell anyone else and everyone's going to volunteer to be someone elses bitch, so far as that kind of thing doesnt disappear into the ether.

A lot of the propaganda from the militia movement was good, it was straight forward, they didnt mind a police state, supported executions of criminals but thought taxes and social spending where tyranny warranting a call to arms and violence. It was a police state within limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm not aware of Walt Disney being pro-Nazi Lark; I know many Disney cartoons were banned in Nazi Germany due to one cartoon showing Mickey Mouse fighting villanous cats wearing WW1 spiked helmets. Although Luftwaffe ace Adolf Galland I guess managed to get around that, since he had Mickey spray-painted on his plane throughout the war.

Disney even made this anti-Nazi cartoon:
    [youtube="FQqCeEG5hs0"]How Nazis are made[/youtube]

And then this one, on a more humourous note:
    [youtube="iumEGAUceDg"]Donald Duck loyal Nutzi[/youtube]
    That's interesting I'd have to look into it Peguy but I've heard it noted, not to say I'm not wrong about this though, it could just be hearsay among the left wing comment that I picked it up from.

I do know that Hitler used to sketch disney characters and was a big fan of the animation himself and that probably accounts of the pilot being able to spray paint it on his plane.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm always VERY interested when I hear that kind of thing associated with libertarianism, I dont consider libertarians to actually favour a less regimented or more relaxed society their means is a little different to other sorts of conservative but the end is pretty much the same.
    What you consider and what is reality aren't the same things.

A libertarian is going to wield the market like an axe instead of propose state action like another sort of conservative but they want the same things usually, that people will suffer for their poor judgement, parentage/accident of birth etc. The very most positive spin that you could possibly put on this is the some what hopeful and optimistic belief that the suffering will be short lived because it will truly kill or cure but that's it.
    How do you wield something like an axe when it cannot be controlled by an individual person?

I've met honest libertarians who will say that they are culturally authoritarian but dont like government or think its a clumbsy instrument but in the main there's a hell of a lot of cognitive dissonance going on or denial, people prefer to focus on how great freedom is, how much no one is going to judge anyone else, no one is going to compell anyone else and everyone's going to volunteer to be someone elses bitch, so far as that kind of thing doesnt disappear into the ether.
    You cannot BE culturally authoritarian and a libertarian. Mutually exclusive.

A lot of the propaganda from the militia movement was good, it was straight forward, they didnt mind a police state, supported executions of criminals but thought taxes and social spending where tyranny warranting a call to arms and violence. It was a police state within limits.
    A police state is not libertarian in the least.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Sniffles

I know Disney was a staunch anti-Communist, although he was still disappointed that Nikita Khrushchev was unable to visit Disneyland due to security risks. Do you have a source on Hitler sketching Disney characters? I know he liked alot of American cinema(one of his favorite actresses was Marlene Dietrich, but she was a German emigre), and alot of German films from this period demonstrate some Hollywood influence in terms of style.

Sniffles

Well according to the link they provided, it's still not really clear whether Hitler drew them. Given that Hitler generally tended to draw buildings and landscapes, at least before 1933. I don't know how relevant it is, but it seems Pinocchio wasn't released in (West) Germany untill 1951. I'm sure Hitler could've got a copy if he tried in 1940, but it would've proved some problems - especially with the Battle of the Atlantic heating up and war with America just around the corner. Getting a copy via Switzerland(1942), Spain(1944), or Finland(1943) was possible though. But apparently U-46 used Mickey as a mascot too.

I think we've derailed the thread enough here.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

I'm going to win no friends what so ever with this right but I dont think that America was as big a player in WW2 as is often made out,
    I agree completely. Americans like to pretend they were the single most important factor in defeating the Nazis, but Britain, Russia and France all (from my perspective) did more and sacrificed more.

That said, I do of course respect the sacrifices America did make in that war.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Sniffles

I don't know how much you can say France contributed to the Allies, especially after 1940. Britain certainly held the line untill 1942 but afterwards played second fiddle to America - especially by 1944-45 when it became bankrupt among other factors.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I see a real case for the USSR. Not so much the other two.
    Go to sleep, iguana.