User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 49

  1. #31
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Shucks I gotta smoke my weed tax free now...

    Damm potheads smoking the indica and there asses getting vapor lock on the living room couch.

    At least fear the proposition might pass appears to have prompted Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last month reduces possession of an ounce or less of pot from a misdemeanor to an infraction with a maximum punishment of a $100 fine when he signed Senate Bill 1449.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  2. #32
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    At least fear the proposition might pass appears to have prompted Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger last month reduces possession of an ounce or less of pot from a misdemeanor to an infraction with a maximum punishment of a $100 fine when he signed Senate Bill 1449.
    Yeah, I guess something good came out of this afterall.

    Still, that isn't enough to stop my REEFER SADNESS that Prop 19 didn't pass. Here's hoping for 2012
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  3. #33
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    This is assuming that we are talking about a constant trend applicable to the great majority of the USA. I worry that may not be the case.
    You'd be hard pressed to find a good counter example, in the USA, or anywhere in the world. In any state or city or town in the US, they're more liberal than they were 50, 100, 200 years ago.

  4. #34
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find a good counter example, in the USA, or anywhere in the world. In any state or city or town in the US, they're more liberal than they were 50, 100, 200 years ago.
    The way I see it, history is a series of actions and reactions, ideas and counter-ideas. It's a bit like the tide rising and falling. But I guess there exists a mean progression one way or the other.

  5. #35
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Generations get progressively more liberal, and even when the people in those generations age, they still become more liberal (contrary to popular belief).

    Busting Myth, People Turn More Liberal With Age - LiveScience

    So as soon as these baby boomers die off.... it's party time. Set your clocks.
    "People might find an average 60-year-old to be more conservative than an average 30-year-old, Danigelis said, but beware of extrapolating a trend. The older person, for example, might have started off even more conservative than he or she is now."

    This was the pivotal highlight imo.

    However, as the article said, these studies are only snapshots. I would be even more interested if they did studies in other democratic countries.

  6. #36
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find a good counter example, in the USA, or anywhere in the world. In any state or city or town in the US, they're more liberal than they were 50, 100, 200 years ago.
    Depends on what issue you are considering; support for gun rights and abortion restrictions have increased over the last 30, if not the last 50, years, and support for things like affirmative action have declined. If one concedes abortions as an inherently 'special case,' then the electorate has become more socially libertarian (in terms of legal protection rather than cultural support), rather than socially 'liberal' over time.

  7. #37
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find a good counter example, in the USA, or anywhere in the world. In any state or city or town in the US, they're more liberal than they were 50, 100, 200 years ago.
    Depends on what issue you are considering; support for gun rights and abortion restrictions have increased over the last 30, if not the last 50, years, and support for things like affirmative action have declined. If one concedes abortion as an inherently 'special case,' then the electorate has become more socially libertarian (in terms of legal protection rather than cultural support), rather than socially 'liberal' over time.

  8. #38
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Generations get progressively more liberal, and even when the people in those generations age, they still become more liberal (contrary to popular belief).

    Busting Myth, People Turn More Liberal With Age - LiveScience

    So as soon as these baby boomers die off.... it's party time. Set your clocks.
    This sounds good until you read the details of the article. The main way that people's views changed had to do with race relations. Saying that people get more liberal with age is misleading. It's more accurate to say people become more accepting with age. And if you spend any amount of time with elderly people you realize this is true. For example my grandmother used to love watching the Cosby show, but she referred to them by using the "N word". (Not in malice, that's just the word she was taught to use.)

    On the other hand that study does not ask any questions about views toward drugs and crime. In these areas people become more conservative with age. I mean really, how many baby boomers get high every day? And the US spends an unprecendented amount of money toward the "war on drugs". On these issues our country as a whole is becoming more conservative. On the other hand it should be clear that the country as a whole is also becoming more accepting of different people as time progresses.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  9. #39
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Depends on what issue you are considering; support for gun rights and abortion restrictions have increased over the last 30, if not the last 50, years, and support for things like affirmative action have declined. If one concedes abortions as an inherently 'special case,' then the electorate has become more socially libertarian (in terms of legal protection rather than cultural support), rather than socially 'liberal' over time.
    Support for abortion has went up a bit since the 1970s. And before that support was really low. There was a spike in support in the 90s, mostly due to strong pro-choice campaigning. But now that there's a strong legal basis for abortion, pro-lifer's have turned up opposition and pro-choicers have cooled down... but it all the sudden it became illegal and we started locking up doctors and harassing women, support would go up if the right was threatened. But as we see, older people, either increased their support for abortion or kept it roughly the same in the last 10 years, while younger people are going for the pro-life line a bit, but will become liberal on this as they age.



    As for social libertarianism, on gay rights, most people support gay marriage, the liberal position, while the libertarian position on that is to take government out of marriage for everyone. On drugs, support is increasing for marijuana decriminalization, but not for heroin or meth decriminalization, which is closer to the libertarian position; keep government totally out of drug restriction. And on discrimination, Rand Paul and libertarianism have a philosophical disagreement with the Civil Right Act, in that we should let business discriminate on race. On gun control, most people want gun rights. But they also don't want terrorists and felons buying rocket launchers, they don't won't the libertarian position of no restrictions at all.

    So as you can the libertarian social positions are too extreme for most Americans.

  10. #40
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This sounds good until you read the details of the article. The main way that people's views changed had to do with race relations. Saying that people get more liberal with age is misleading. It's more accurate to say people become more accepting with age. And if you spend any amount of time with elderly people you realize this is true. For example my grandmother used to love watching the Cosby show, but she referred to them by using the "N word". (Not in malice, that's just the word she was taught to use.)

    On the other hand that study does not ask any questions about views toward drugs and crime. In these areas people become more conservative with age. I mean really, how many baby boomers get high every day? And the US spends an unprecendented amount of money toward the "war on drugs". On these issues our country as a whole is becoming more conservative. On the other hand it should be clear that the country as a whole is also becoming more accepting of different people as time progresses.
    Society becoming more accepting is more palatable to liberal views than traditional conservative ones though. They're not the same thing, but overlap.

    You think people who grew up in the 50s are more conservative on drugs now than then? And then back during Reefer Madness? The laws have gotten stricter, due to drug popularity and pharm/alcohol/tobacco lobbying, but attitudes haven't. Just look at drug use, despite the laws.

    And on gays, not just race, old people have changed their views from back then. They just aren't close to where young people are.

Similar Threads

  1. Where you should live based on MBTI
    By OrangeAppled in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-12-2015, 04:45 AM
  2. Why you should support gay marriage
    By SpankyMcFly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 05:02 PM
  3. Why You Should Be At The Giza Pyramids on Dec 3, 2012!
    By Mal12345 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 09:15 AM
  4. why you should read bad reviews closely
    By prplchknz in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 12:54 PM
  5. Why you should(nt) live with me. An introduction to doriusrex
    By doriusrex in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO