User Tag List

Thread: Political Writing

Default Political Writing

Does anyone think that the standard of political writing or politics as a topic for popular writing or readers interest has declined?

I'm reading this morning pieces from a book called A Democratic Manifesto by Emery Reves, my copy is printed on war rations paper and its a "scrappy" book, the pages arent all cut to proper size, it could be treated as a second or discard copy if it where an run of a printing press today.

Although that said its a good book, the author has done his reading, as widely as Confucius, Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, all the moderns like Mill et al.

He makes some interesting points about the difference liberal and conservative regimes and suggesting that while they may claim to the contrary many communist or "revolutionary" regimes are conservative in practice and while claiming to be conservative both parties in the states where liberal.

The distinction is based upon the acceptance of the need for change, accepting its legitimacy, and not trying to preserve a status quo above all else. Not tax or spending priorities.

I dont tend to find that sort of political rather than polemical or partisan rehetoricising in books anymore.

I think that the attitude in political writing is going to change significantly with different subjects and participants in the arena. I can't say I see this as a decline, but merely a change in priorities. Just look at the words conservative and liberal, they mean completely different things even without the blessing of time. Mere miles and arbitrary borders render whole new definitions for them.