12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default cost less to set a chronically homeless person up in an apartment

In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Like it is cheaper to send the homeless out of Hawaii if the homeless wanted to go back to their original state.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

There was a show I watched a while back about a homeless shelter that any homeless person could walk in and eat--but they had to wash up and prepare the food themselves. The more responsibilities they performed and stuck to, the more privilages they got. Eventually, they'd get clothing, television, etc. in their own room if they continued to perform increasing responsibilities. They have to be open to finding work, and working for the shelter to support other homeless people as they look for work, and the shelter people help them find jobs, find their own housing, teach them how to live on their own, etc. THey have like.. a 75-85% fail rate (the homeless people can leave anytime they want to, and when they do they consider it a fail.).. Something that baffles me.

I don't work too much with the homeless because I don't much understand them...
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    THey have like.. a 75-85% fail rate (the homeless people can leave anytime they want to, and when they do they consider it a fail.).. Something that baffles me.
    Too much work/responsibilities to get out of becoming homeless?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ I think people get intimidated by change.. they feel like they'll fail before they even try.. I don't know where rock bottom is, but obviously for many homelessness isn't it. I can't understand that need to fall so hard for so long without ever trying.. I can only speculate as to why so many fail though. The few that probably survive the process truly just had bad luck and needed a way of getting back on their feet.. and some probably cannot function in society.. and some probably don't know how to get back to a life like that and are intimidated by potential failure.. And some probably just plain don't want anything they can't get for free.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

A good post.
    I am only disturbed by the last bit:
    Some do not want anything they cannot get for free.

I have employed a lot of homeless people.
    Most of them did not want anything they can get for free.

I have a homeless friend. We meet regularly and talk about the ins and and outs of living outdoors. I find the details of practical living fascinating. Like where to sleep, where to eat, how to keep warm, where to wash and how to have a social life.

It seems Canberra is a good place to be homeless as we have lots of support services and few homeless. In fact we have a large supply of government housing and if the homeless apply, they are given priority treatment. But some prefer to live out than live in a government flat or house.

I have noticed though that of all of the homeless I have known over the years, all had a mental illness. And all chose to live outdoors.

We have noticed that our mental health services need to improve, and provision has been made in the budget.

In the meantime, I enjoy the company of my homeless friend and I am always pleased to see him.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

It makes sense that the policy would have a 75-85% failure rate. Most homeless people have some sort of mental illness or learning disability. It's relatively rare to come across a case where someone is just being "lazy".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Oberon

There's also the possibility that there are a few folks out there who prefer an absolute level of freedom to having a roof over their head.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Good point Lateralus, even those that dont have a learning disability or mental illness in the common definitions have got mindsets which are nothing like the mainstream, its almost like teaching a Dog to be a Cat.

I've worked with kids who will deliberately reduce their living spaces to trash heaps, sleep in and where the same clothes for days, refrain and refuse to wash themselves or their clothes, any direction to do otherwise will be seen as an encroachment on their freedom of choice, more importantly they'll feel like its a personal attack and react emotionally and explosively.

The practice now is to try and educate kids about consequences, generally natural and logical consequences, those are not even gainful compliance formal rules and obligations but how to avoid accidentially or unintentionally becoming a loser, ie your social scene will shrink if you smell, dodging out of education, work, cleaning, tidying etc. amounts to more work in reality than simply getting your shit done in the first place.

Oberon, you make a good point about what's wrong with homelessness, generally its not the free wheeling Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer existence that people have in mind when they talk about it, its the maladjusted, derelict variety which results in people going into beggary, petty crime, predatory behaviour and becoming something akin to the trolls in Richard Laymon books.