User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Weapons development and research?

Having reading John Birmingham's time travel novel about a future fleet being sent back to WW2 I've become interested in the topic of defence and weapons research and development, does anyone know of any books or journals that they'd recommend? Most of the books on firearms which I can find on Amazon are picture books and generally off private collectors weapons and mainly historical, now I know that could be UK Amazon as opposed to US amazon but anyway.

I'm also really interested in sea power and weapons platforms deployed at sea, aircraft arent as cool as they used to be because of the advances in missle and other systems making dog fights and biggles style heroes of the sky dreadfully dated as ideas.

The topic of ballistic armour too, what about that? I see the robocops at the anti-globalisation demos and wonder about how different it all is from even the most armoured cops during the troubles here in northern ireland.

I wish Take Five would come back from whatever secret mission he's been on and post about topics like this one. I liked the stuff about fighting doctrines in contest and conflict in the midst of global theatres of conflict and current deployments by the US and its multi-national support.

MBTI
    INTP

My greatest source of melancholy in life is knowing that I was born into a world where power armor is not actually feasible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

The closest thing I can think of is "A history of war fare" by John Keegan, ISBN 0 09 174527 6. It's a large and fairly old book that covers many aspects of war and it does touch upon the development of gunpowder, particularly in referance to seige warfare. It also covers much of the philiosophical and psychological aspects. The copy I own is close to 20 years old - I bought it second hand from a library. I'm not sure if it is still being printed.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    My greatest source of melancholy in life is knowing that I was born into a world where power armor is not actually feasible.
    I wish there was power armour too, at least as envisaged in the first two PC Fallout games.