User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Default Is The U.S. Bored?

It's been said that creating amusement for oneself is aesthetically pleasing, but it's also a sign that the individual is bored. It seems that not only does the U.S. enjoy simple amusement, which is emphasized by sensationalist media, but they also enjoy creating their own truths and callings in an individualistic (and some would say self-absorbed) way, which is catered by our institutions by an abundance of choice. I think this may be a sign that U.S. citizens are generally bored, but I don't have very much evidence to back me other than personal experience. What do you think?

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

I would say so. And this "boredom" or abundance/freedom of choice which does not create true contentment as a result of its increase is something that can be capitalized on by a variety of industry and personal interest groups (aka media or cults - which are the same thing really). Constantly creating new sources of novelty, new ideals to chase, anything to distract from the simple pleasures in life that should be learnt as a remedy to this boredom that is a result of the illusion of unlimited freedom and choice - is an effective way of keeping the public occupied while maintaining a supposedly sustainable economy.
    sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

Smile Mates of the Enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    It's been said that creating amusement for oneself is aesthetically pleasing, but it's also a sign that the individual is bored. It seems that not only does the U.S. enjoy simple amusement, which is emphasized by sensationalist media, but they also enjoy creating their own truths and callings in an individualistic (and some would say self-absorbed) way, which is catered by our institutions by an abundance of choice. I think this may be a sign that U.S. citizens are generally bored, but I don't have very much evidence to back me other than personal experience. What do you think?
    The USA is a nice old fashioned society, for the USA believes in hierarchy.

Yes, the USA believes in the hierarchy of money.

And the USA believes in belief.

The USA is so successful that its only competitor China is competing with the USA in the same hierarchy.

Whereas Oz is egalitarian and has just elected a poor atheist as Prime Minister.

And not only did we elect a poor atheist, but a woman living in sin.

There she is, looking you in the eye, just to your left.

And she has no time to be bored as she is governing with an evenly split Parliament.

And fortunately our economy has been growing non stop for the last nineteen years, even through the economic meltdown, all without the need to bail out our banks.

And so we all remain mates informed by the Enlightenment.

Thumbs up Do you sincerely want to be boring?

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    I would say so. And this "boredom" or abundance/freedom of choice which does not create true contentment as a result of its increase is something that can be capitalized on by a variety of industry and personal interest groups (aka media or cults - which are the same thing really). Constantly creating new sources of novelty, new ideals to chase, anything to distract from the simple pleasures in life that should be learnt as a remedy to this boredom that is a result of the illusion of unlimited freedom and choice - is an effective way of keeping the public occupied while maintaining a supposedly sustainable economy.
    The USA makes the distinction between sincere and phoney, while we make the same distinction between amusing and boring.

So the worst thing I can call you is phoney. And the worst thing you can call me is boring.

So we amusing while you are boring.

And you are sincere while we are phoney.

And what could be more boring than sincerity?

Unless you want to be sincerely boring.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Yes. But so are all the other developed countries. They are just as bored and create just as many nuisances out of boredom.

What to do about boredom? I have no idea. I have a pet theory that we are de-evolving because of it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Bread and circuses. All highly developed civilizations focused upon this prior to their decline.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I have a pet theory that we are de-evolving because of it.
    How does something de-evolve?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

500+ channels and nothing to watch. Is the U.S. bored? Yep, I think so.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTJ

If I wasn't bored, I wouldn't be here talking to all you turkeys in the first place.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Not bored, per se.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge