User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Exclamation The Middle Class and Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by strawberries View Post
    the middle class straddle two different worlds.
    Yes, the middle class are the compradors between the owners and the workers.

They inhabit No-Man's-Land. They are shot at by both sides.

So they are in two minds or out of their minds.

No wonder they invented therapy.

I need not further labour the point that highbrows, for some reason or another, are wholly incapable of dealing successfully with what is called real life. That is why, and here I come to a point that is often surprisingly ignored, they honour so wholeheartedly and depend so completely upon those who are called lowbrows. By a lowbrow is meant of course a man or a woman of thoroughbred vitality who rides his body in pursuit of a living at a gallop across life. That is why I honour and respect lowbrows — and I have never known a highbrow who did not.

There can be no doubt about that either. It is the doing of the middlebrows. They are the people, I confess, that I seldom regard with entire cordiality. They are the go–betweens; they are the busy–bodies who run from one to the other with their tittle tattle and make all the mischief — the middlebrows, I repeat. But what, you may ask, is a middlebrow? And that, to tell the truth, is no easy question to answer. They are neither one thing nor the other. They are not highbrows, whose brows are high; nor lowbrows, whose brows are low. Their brows are betwixt and between.

I (heart) Virginia Woolf

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenue View Post
    I need not further labour the point that highbrows, for some reason or another, are wholly incapable of dealing successfully with what is called real life. That is why, and here I come to a point that is often surprisingly ignored, they honour so wholeheartedly and depend so completely upon those who are called lowbrows. By a lowbrow is meant of course a man or a woman of thoroughbred vitality who rides his body in pursuit of a living at a gallop across life. That is why I honour and respect lowbrows — and I have never known a highbrow who did not.

There can be no doubt about that either. It is the doing of the middlebrows. They are the people, I confess, that I seldom regard with entire cordiality. They are the go–betweens; they are the busy–bodies who run from one to the other with their tittle tattle and make all the mischief — the middlebrows, I repeat. But what, you may ask, is a middlebrow? And that, to tell the truth, is no easy question to answer. They are neither one thing nor the other. They are not highbrows, whose brows are high; nor lowbrows, whose brows are low. Their brows are betwixt and between.

I (heart) Virginia Woolf
    I scratch my brow and I furrow my brow at Ingenue.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Maybe it's because I grew up more lower middle class than middle-middle class, but I don't know anyone with this supposed "middle class guilt", nor is anyone Nationalistic at all. These sort of stereotypes are what annoy me; they always strike me as upper class snobbery or poorer class resentment aimed at the middle class. I'm not sure why the middle class gets the brunt of it either. It's PC to criticize the (shrinking) middle class though. I always noticed this sort of condescension of richer people towards the poor, but ridicule towards the middle class. I wonder if it's because middle class is more of a threat in some way, but it's safe to pity the poor.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I've observed middle-class guilt, but I seriously still think Edgar in particular has made some HUGE (erroneous) generalizations by saying that "most" people who belong to political or social organizations are doing it out of guilt or being status conscious, and also what he said about people never really leaving their class. That's such bullshit. People leave their class all the time in the United States. It almost makes me wonder if he's still a little locked into European thinking.

Also, Victor, for crissakes people don't elect kings, kings get sovereign power from God.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Maybe it's because I grew up more lower middle class than middle-middle class, but I don't know anyone with this supposed "middle class guilt", nor is anyone Nationalistic at all. These sort of stereotypes are what annoy me; they always strike me as upper class snobbery or poorer class resentment aimed at the middle class. I'm not sure why the middle class gets the brunt of it either. It's PC to criticize the (shrinking) middle class though. I always noticed this sort of condescension of richer people towards the poor, but ridicule towards the middle class. I wonder if it's because middle class is more of a threat in some way, but it's safe to pity the poor.
    This! Thank you, OrangeAppled, the general consensus here to bash both the middle class and liberals in one strike has started to worry me a bit.

Of course there is a lot of bigotism going on. And yes, I believe Sigfried Kracauer (whose analysis of post-Great Depression Germany deserves to be reread these days!) got it right in his observation that the salaried masses delude themselves when they think themselves worlds apart from the factory workers and in the same social league as the upper class.

But let´s not forget that this much criticizes middle class is also the backbone of most stable modern societies. An extensive middle class is usually considered to be an inportant factor in political stability and economic growth.

http://www.economist.com/node/130632...ry_id=13063298

Being neither fish nor fowl means they are social glue that keeps a country together and starts the French revolution (a force for good in my book) if you ignore it.

Oh, and, seriously...are you guys criticizing the desire for political participation as a self delusion of the middle class that deserves to be looked down upon?! And I know political correctness has become a much abused dirty word, but that doesn´t mean the wish for a better world is something to be ridiculed.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    This! Thank you, OrangeAppled, the general consensus here to bash both the middle class and liberals in one strike has started to worry me a bit.

Of course there is a lot of bigotism going on. And yes, I believe Sigfried Krakauer (whose analysis of post-Great Depression Germany deserves to be reread these days!) got it right in his observation that the salaried masses delude themselves when they think themselves worlds apart from the factory workers and in the same social league as the upper class.

But let´s not forget that this much criticizes middle class is also the backbone of most stable modern societies. An extensive middle class is usually considered to be an inportant factor in political stability and economic growth.

HTML Code:
    http://www.economist.com/node/13063298?story_id=13063298
    Being neither fish nor fowl means they are social glue that keeps a country together and starts the French revolution (a force for good in my book) if you ignore it.

Oh, and, seriously...are you guys criticizing the desire for political participation as a self delusion of the middle class that deserves to be looked down upon?! And I know political correctness has become a much abused dirty word, but that doesn´t mean the wish for a better world is something to be ridiculed.
    I agree, because I certainly certainly know MANY working class (or at least people who were born working class) who are PC and liberal minded and people of different classes who belong to social or political organizations because they actually *gasp*CARE about animals, or the environment, or human relations.

HOWEVER, I don't think anyone has proven that the some of the people in this thread making these criticisms of the middle class aren't middle class themselves, in their defense.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

...self-hating middle class FTW! Nothing wrong with self criticism, but looking down on your own social background (which ever that might be) seems a little problematic to me. Dare I throw around the heaviliy loaded concept of class aweness?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    ...self-hating middle class FTW! Nothing wrong with self criticism, but looking down on your own social background (which ever that might be) seems a little problematic to me. Dare I throw around the heaviliy loaded concept of class aweness?
    Well middle class guilt does exist, and I totally know what they're talking about, and to deny it would be the same as denying that there are some seriously narcissistic worthless asshats in the upper class and still an unfortunate amount of ignorance amongst the working class.

This isn't some diatribe against the middle class. I haven't really seen that, to be perfectly honest with you. It seems more like the situation where all types get picked on around this site, but when you see your type get picked on then you imagine everyone hates XXXX.

MBTI
    ----

i don't see anyone in this thread calling out one class as being better/wiser/sexier than another*

i could wax lyrical about middle class guilt and insecurity all day long - i am middle class! it's all around me.

'class' by its very nature is about generalising - not about pointing out how we are all unique snowflakes and glowing exceptions to the rules, but people get touchy when you talk about class.

*edgar is just butthurt that he's not a hamptons socialite.