User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by TacEight View Post
    Because someone else who worked hard to build an economic empire doesn't deserve it? How petty of me. No, I'd rather admit that if I wanted to, I could have gone out there and focused my life on making money or becoming rich instead of looking inward or having fun, but I chose to do otherwise.
    That is only partially true. Not all wealth is earned. Many are simply born into money. They are given a free pass to consume the best without having to contribute anything to society. Why do they deserve it more than you? Why should you not feel envious and work to eliminate the injustice?

MBTI
    INTP

Envy is the priviledge of the rich.

A extremely select and rare few take it upon themselves to first develop/mature themselves and then use their wisdom/understanding to better others.
    We have found two institutions that work. The first is liberal democracy. And the second is prudent capitalism.

Both liberal democracy and prudent capitalism are based on the Enlightenment philosophy of Utilitarianism which can be briefly translated as, the greatest good for the greatest number.

We are free and we are prosperous, and we look forward to the rest of the developed world adopting prudent capitalism and the freedom of liberal democracy.

MBTI
    INTP

Envy is luxury and it is closely linked to Si. It is fear of losing what you already have.
    The poor people look forward.
    They have little motive to look back. Only the privileged class looks back.
    The rich envy the poor. The poor cannot afford to envy the rich.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Envy is the sign of a weak mind and low self esteem. You can find those characteristics in all classes.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    That is only partially true. Not all wealth is earned. Many are simply born into money. They are given a free pass to consume the best without having to contribute anything to society. Why do they deserve it more than you? Why should you not feel envious and work to eliminate the injustice?
    a) Because I don't need to feel envious of others to be happy in life
    b) I'm more mature than that, and
    c) If I recall statistically it's less than 5% of those who own more than $1,000,000 in assets/income actually inherited it; otherwise they earned it. (Did research on this subject a few years ago, don't remember the exact results now though.)
    INTP - Ti > Ne > Te > Ni > Fi > Se > Fe > Si

I am not a Strange Loop, for I will always grow and mature.

Society is a Strange Loop, preventing us from growing and maturing.

MBTI
    INTP

Envy is luxury and it is closely linked to Si. It is fear of losing what you already have.
    The poor people look forward.
    They have little motive to look back. Only the privileged class looks back.
    The rich envy the poor. The poor cannot afford to envy the rich.
    As philosophical and enlightening as this sounds, I find no accuracy or reasonable explanation here. "The poor cannot afford to envy the rich?" Can they also not afford to be lazy, or to feel sorry for themselves, or to feel love, pain, hate, happiness, etc.? It sounds like you're implying they are working too hard to afford the luxury of emotions. What do you really mean; I know I'm not interpreting that right?

Perhaps I'll do some research again soon, but I believe that "the poor" are ill-classified in the US, as the average "poor" person as defined by our government owns at least 1 TV, a computer, has food and water, etc. etc. but can still apply for and use food stamps/government programs, even if jobless or when not trying to get a job. This is called enabling not helping, and such programs should be given toward people who work hard and strive to make it in the world, not to those who simply mooch off the rest of the citizens' taxes.

And don't get me wrong: I am not without empathy for the "poor" or those in "poverty;" I believe we can do great things to help out those as individuals, and perhaps even as a country/government. However the current system is a joke, and a crutch not a helping hand.
    INTP - Ti > Ne > Te > Ni > Fi > Se > Fe > Si

I am not a Strange Loop, for I will always grow and mature.

Society is a Strange Loop, preventing us from growing and maturing.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    They are born into money because someone who had earned the money previously decided to dispense with it by leaving it to them. If a wealthy person wanted to give all of his or her money away, rather than fund an idiot slacker for a child, that would be completely fine. IT'S THEIR MONEY. It isn't about "deserve" and there is no injustice at play whatsoever, unless you think the universe is inherently unjust, since some people naturally have more economically valuable skill sets than others. "This guy's dad was rich and left him a ton of money! WAHHHHHH!" is such a lame, childish attitude.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Competition gives envy a reason to exist. This is especially true of competition that results in supposed superiority of one human being over another. It replaces the intrinsic value of human life with worth based on performance.

"All are created equal" is true in terms of intrinsic worth, but that is where it ends. We do not all have the same potential. We are born with different mental and physical parameters. Someone living in poverty cannot become anything they dream. Obstacles are real and superiority granted to those who were by chance facing the fewest obstacles is irrational and plays directly into the irrationality of envy. It is the same as measuring the winners of a race without regard to the fact that some had motocycles, some had $150 shoes, some had no shoes, and some were without legs.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    They are born into money because someone who had earned the money previously decided to dispense with it by leaving it to them. If a wealthy person wanted to give all of his or her money away, rather than fund an idiot slacker for a child, that would be completely fine. IT'S THEIR MONEY. It isn't about "deserve" and there is no injustice at play whatsoever, unless you think the universe is inherently unjust, since some people naturally have more economically valuable skill sets than others. "This guy's dad was rich and left him a ton of money! WAHHHHHH!" is such a lame, childish attitude.
    If the premise is "fairness does not exist" then what about the following? How is a sense of entitlement that childishly says, "he has tons of money" worth more criticism than an entitlement that exploits others to gain money? If we determine that the universe is not fair, then why criticize a childish attitude anymore than a cruel, exploitative, or entitled one? Is it worse or should it be equally allowed? If one becomes rich by using sweatshops in a deprived nation, and another finds a way to raise taxes to take some of that person's money and redistribute it, why is that worse? A person's money only belongs to them for as long as they can keep it before someone else steals or exploits it from them. At any point along the flow of taking resources, is it ever "their money"? How is ownership defined or justified? Doesn't that require some assumption of underlying "fairness"?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

d) work very hard, get promoted.
    Yeah, very successful manager of a KFC retail.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp