User Tag List

First 123

Thread: Presidential IQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    The average IQ for US presidents, according to the study, was approx 134. Given that 1 in 85 people will have an IQ of at least 134, and given the population of the United States is approx 310 mil, there are approx 35 mil people alive in the US at this moment who possess an IQ of at least that of the average president of the United States. Does this still seem so unreasonable?

Also, looking at the data, if we consider all estimates (4 per president) approx 10% of all estimates are above 150; if we consider the average for each president (the average of their 4 estimates) approx 8% of presidents have an average above 150.
    OK, that makes more sense. I think I misread the chart the first time around.

/mediocreIQ :redface:
    83% I 70% N 64% T 73% P | 5w4 sp/so/sx | Chaotic Good

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
    As for your second statement, that unfortuanately just isn't so. The vast majority of U.S. presidential elections have been contests of proving how average each of the opponents are; anything else is regarded as "elitist", a word that has become increasingly stigmatized. Joe Sixpack doesn't want an enlightened despot, represented by the fact that there has never been a successful technocracy in the U.S.
    That has less to do with intelligence and more to do with conflicting beliefs. I guarantee that if there were a genius level person who carried Joe Sixpack's values, he would jump at the chance to elect him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

That has less to do with intelligence and more to do with conflicting beliefs. I guarantee that if there were a genius level person who carried Joe Sixpack's values, he would jump at the chance to elect him.
    I have an idea that these people probably exist, but overwhelmingly do not want to run for president.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

Which values are you referring to, exactly?
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

MBTI
    FREE

It's relative to the person who is judging.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Here is a graph I made using the estimates of Presidential IQ provided by an article published in Political Psychology by Dean Keith Simonton.

Presidential IQ, Openness, Intellectual Brilliance, and Leadership: Estimates and Correlations for 42 U.S. Chief Executives

Abstract:
    Individual differences in intelligence are consistently associated with leader performance, including the assessed performance of presidents of the United States. Given this empirical significance, IQ scores were estimated for all 42 chief executives from George Washington to G. W. Bush. The scores were obtained by applying missing-values estimation methods (expectation-maximization) to published assessments of (a) IQ (Cox, 1926; n = 8), (b) Intellectual Brilliance (Simonton, 1986c; n = 39), and (c) Openness to Experience (Rubenzer & Faschingbauer, 2004; n = 32). The resulting scores were then shown to correlate with evaluations of presidential leadership performance. The implications for George W. Bush and his presidency were then discussed.

I have also included normal distribution curves for the IQ of the general population and presidential population for comparison. (Forgive the prehistoric formatting, I'm using an older version of excel on a different computer for this one.)

This seems somewhat directionally correct though I can't imagine where you got this info. Actually, I think Nixon would be a lot higher and Kennedy a lot lower though, based on what I've heard.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTJ

It's relative to the person who is judging.
    This is of course assuming that most people even use a logical method to judge political candidates. There’s a pretty disconcerting amount of evidence to suggest that the average voter ranks physical attractiveness rather high on their list of voting priorities. There’s also the idea that many people will support a leader based on personal affection, party affiliation, and the ability to relate to them, and not at all on the ideological values of the candidate. Honestly, one of the clever moves that I observed about individuals such as Obama is that they’ve masked a portion of their intelligence under the illusion that they’re “just one of the folks”. Even George Bush has done this to a certain extent and is probably not anywhere near as dense as people assume him to be.
    Surgeons replace one of your neurons with a microchip that duplicates its input-output functions. You feel and behave exactly as before. Then they replace a second one, and a third one, and so on, until more and more of your brain becomes silicon. Since each microchip does exactly what the neuron did, your behavior and memory never change. Do you even notice the difference? Does it feel like dying? Is some other conscious entity moving in with you?
    -Steven Pinker on the Ship of Theseus Paradox

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I have an idea that these people probably exist, but overwhelmingly do not want to run for president.
    LOL, so true. I think answering "true" on an IQ test to the statement, "I want to run for president" should score an automatic -10 IQ points.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

These results are believable. Pretty much all of the former Presidents who I've seen as very intelligent are at the top of the list!
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx