User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    Although I hate sites like Google- that track almost everything you do, he's got a good point. This is why I no longer say or do things I wouldn't want to be seen.
    Smart. It's called personal accountability.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

the fact that there IS so little privacy anymore makes getting a fresh start amazingly difficult... go through a tough time and screw up a few times? You're a bad person FOREVER because it's on record and people can find that. the lack of privacy is unforgiving... it makes me feel sad that the days where you could just move and everything would be left behind are in the past. there's no such thing as a second chance anymore thanks to the lack of privacy
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Cool Sing the Song Electric

The death of privacy is the least of our worries. It's not that we have only to worry about the death of God and the death of the author, but the death of gender is upon us.

It's the first thing they asked when you were born. And now it is all up in smoke. Of course the bereaved cling to their pathetic distinction of gender, but it is all over bar the shouting. And what are they shouting about? We are shouting about same gender marriage. We displace our anxiety at the disappearance of different genders, by focusing on same genders. But in the end, it is all the same. God is gone, the author is gone, privacy is gone and gender is gone.

And we are seeing them off in grand style. Our most popular threads are religion and sex and privacy and everyone and their dog fancies themselves as an author.

We are conducting one huge wake. But God will never waken, privacy is over, you will never hear your favourite author, and your gender has gone to sleep forever.

Of course you wish they had gone to sleep with you. But like the dead parrot, they are just sleeping. Sleeping the sleep of the dead.

And what a relief. When you think of all the trouble God, the author, privacy and gender have caused us, good riddance I say.

And as the Sun is setting on God, the author, privacy and gender, it is rising in the noosphere.

And here we are in the new sphere of knowing. We have no need to know one another in the biblical sense, 'cause we know ourselves more intimately in the electrical sense. And we sing the song electric.

Some feel sad. We understand that. But they can't help but join in the singing of the body electric. Alleluia, Alleluia. God is dead, the author is dead, privacy is dead, gender is dead and we rise as pure spirits, the dream of the Ages, as we are all one.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The death of privacy is the least of our worries. It's not that we have only to worry about the death of God and the death of the author, but the death of gender is upon us.

It's the first thing they asked when you are born. And now it is all up in smoke. Of course the bereaved cling to their pathetic distinction of gender, but it is all over bar the shouting. And what are they shouting about? We are shouting about same gender marriage. We displace our anxiety at the disappearance of different genders, by focusing on same genders. But in the end, it is all the same. God is gone, the author is gone, and gender is gone.

And we are seeing them off in grand style. Our most popular threads are religion and sex and privacy and everyone and their dog fancies themselves as an author.

We are conducting one huge wake. But God will never waken, privacy is over, you will never hear your favourite author, and your gender has gone to sleep forever.

Of course you wish they had gone to sleep with you. But like the dead parrot, they are just sleeping. Sleeping the sleep of the dead.

And what a relief. When you think of all the trouble God, the author, privacy and gender have caused us, good riddance I say.

And as the Sun is setting on God, the author, privacy and gender, it is rising in the noosphere.

And here we are in the new sphere of knowing. We have no need to know one another in the biblical sense, 'cause we know ourselves more intimately in the electrical sense. And we sing the song electric.

Some feel sad. We understand that. But they can't help but join in the singing of the body electric. Alleluia, Alleluia. God is dead, the author is dead, privacy is dead, gender is dead and we rise as pure spirits, the dream of the Ages, and we are all one.
    I seem to always have difficulty understanding the points you try to make. What is the purpose of your posts? To inform, to portray yourself in a certain light, what?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I seem to always have difficulty understanding the points you try to make. What is the purpose of your posts? To inform, to portray yourself in a certain light, what?
    There is no point because point of view is dead.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    the fact that there IS so little privacy anymore makes getting a fresh start amazingly difficult... go through a tough time and screw up a few times? You're a bad person FOREVER because it's on record and people can find that. the lack of privacy is unforgiving... it makes me feel sad that the days where you could just move and everything would be left behind are in the past. there's no such thing as a second chance anymore thanks to the lack of privacy

I thought records go clean after 7 years?

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There is no point because point of view is dead.
    Ok, let me rephrase: What is your motivation behind posting? What are you feeling when you decide to respond?

I mean, most of your posts have mystical/poetic overtones, but don't really say anything substantial. Are you stretching your creative muscle?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

you can never completely erase things of that sort from the internet
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Wow, seriously? That sucks.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

I think that this touches on the crux of the problem. But it's not just the lack of privacy (I suspect that folks who live in small, traditional hunter-gatherer bands have almost zero privacy either), but the fact that these details of our lives are being permanently stored and made easily available to large numbers of people anywhere in the world who have no other basis on which to judge us, and are used as an "easy" way to make substantial judgements about us (and I'm not even mentioning the profit motive, which I find disgusting in this circumstance). How many people who went to college in the 80's ever got drunk and acted stupid at a party? Probably a lot. But very, very few of them were ever in a position, 3 years later, to have their prospective employer use evidence of that in making a decision about them. Their friends, who saw them acting stupid at the party, have a much more well-rounded base of information on which to make judgements.

Personally, I'm pretty limited in what I want to expose on the internet. I was convinced, reluctantly, to join Facebook. But I've never posted anything there, and I don't participate in any of the "games" or other data-mining applications. So yes, I am concerned about it. I've always been pretty close with personal details, and have largely lived my entire life along the "if you don't want anyone to know, don't do it" principle. This makes me relatively "safe" in the modern world. This is a BAD thing. Let me tell you -- living your life as if you have to present a perfect image every minute lest someone take the most minute failing and use it to take you down is not good. So yeah. It's a bad thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]