User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I think you're missing my point. I am in agreement with you that currently too much information is available to be used by employers and on a commercial basis. Only the government can force employers or businesses to get your permission.
    And you're missing mine. That's why I asked if you think we need greater legislation and control in this area (as most security experts do).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    And you're missing mine. That's why I asked if you think we need greater legislation and control in this area (as most security experts do).
    A little bit online, just to attempt to come up to the level of privacy we have in the "meat world".

I didn't get upset about the Patriot Act that came after 9/11 like everybody else did either.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I would be delighted to read them aloud with you, dear Domino, turn and turn about, over the internet. And we could ask others to join us.

My Skype name is shortus.
    Thank you for reminding me to get Skype! Sounds like trippy book reading time...

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Ha! You give me ideas, lady. I should mess with them for fun too.
    Oh yes. Make up something so implausible yet horrible that they'll want to call you out but can't for fear of being hideously insensitive.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Thank you for reminding me to get Skype! Sounds like trippy book reading time...
    Of course reading aloud over the internet with two or more others is completely different from reading a book privately alone.

It's a completely different experience. It's a bit like being read to as a child. And it's a bit like the monastics being read to as they had their meal. It's a very medieval thing to do.

But everything old is new again on the internet.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

It's pretty bad when FB knows who I am talking to on Skype..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Victor and fans - please conduct your flirtations elsewhere. This is a SRS thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Of course reading aloud over the internet with two or more others is completely different from reading a book privately alone.

It's a completely different experience. It's a bit like being read to as a child. And it's a bit like the monastics being read to as they had their meal. It's a very medieval thing to do.

But everything old is new again on the internet.
    I am totally in favour of monitoring Victor's skype conversations. For the good of the Republic and for Science!

Ginkgo

""Forgetting is a very powerful social tool that helps us get by and get along," he said.
    As lives are lived more and more online or via the phone it has led, said Mr Schneier, to a situation in which everyone has to be the guardian of their own privacy policy."

This is the best part of the article.

I heard of a woman in my area who was fired from her job as an elementary school teacher because she posted a picture of her holding on gun on facebook. Apparently, this image had "damaging" connotations for youngsters. The parents thought she was an unfit role model. Similar things have been happening for people searching for jobs all across the nation. You better not haphazardly leave a picture of you drunk on myspace, or potential employers could look you up and deem you unfit.

It's ridiculous. I know Vic has rambled on about his "global village" in the past, but that's literally what it is. Social networks are being integrated into an all encompassing "village", where, if you do something shameful, everyone will know and shun you. Worse yet, not only do people not forget, but they don't forgive.

The way people are so uptight about social politics is annoying.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    The way people are so uptight about social politics is annoying.
    I've always believed that this is a problem with people having unrealistic views on what others should do. Personally I like the odd picture of me nestling a bottle of red wine or a pint of beer circulating freely. If someone was ever to use it against me I'd be quite happy to point out that I couldn't give a flying expletive if they think it is an issue; as what I do with my own time, as long as it is legal is not their concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Victor has rambled on about his "global village" in the past, but that's literally what it is.
    Yes, in a village everyone knows what everyone else is doing. And this is equally true in the global village.

And even more interesting is that in a village everyone knows what everyone else is feeling. And so in the global village.